Apocalyptic Cults Always Predict the " Last Days "-Why it's a Total Farce

by flipper 31 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

I've been reading the book, " The Kingdom of the Cults " by Walter Martin. He's a " Christian " so being an atheist/agnostic I've had to wade through some of the more subjective Christian comments and observations he makes on things. But he does see through the BS of cults in predicting the last days. Because of unfullfilled expectations many of these religions and cults really hurt people and cause their members to hurt others by doing bizarre things when promises go unfullfilled. Check it out.

From the early years of 300 A.D. until the 1900's cult leaders have ALWAYS tried luring unsuspecting people with promises of the " end " or " last days " which allegedly will free them to be closer to God in heaven, or be at peace on earth after the wicked are destroyed. Martin in his book lists these different dates that cult leaders gave as the " end of times " over the years. " 500, 999, 1100, 1200, 1245, 1420, 1528, 1656, 1734, 1844, 1874, 1975, ........." And so it goes on and on.

In 1992 a Christian radio personality Harold Camping began making predictions about the year 1994. He stated, " When September 6, 1994 arrives , no one else can be saved, the end has come. " After the " end " didn't come on his date Camping claimed that " it was only God's mercy that resulted in God giving the world a little more time to repent. " Yeah, right.

Another alleged " prophet " a pastor of Christ Church in Los Angeles, John Hinkle predicted that on " Thursday, June 9th , 1994 God will rip the evil from the earth. It will be the most cataclysmic event since the resurrection of Christ. " After God's alleged date passed, Hinkle claimed that ot did come to pass, but it did so " invisibly " , in the " spiritual realm ". Uh huh.

A full page add in 1991 appeared in the USA TODAY saying " Rapture October 28, 1992 Jesus is Coming in the Air ". This was started by a Korean based cult called Hyoo-Go movement. They predicted that beginning on October 28, 1992, " 50 million people will die in earthquakes, 50 million from collapsed buildings , 1.4 billion from World War 3 , and 1.4 billion from a seperate Armageddon ." As the " end " drew near, social disruption mounted in South Korea . Believers quit their jobs , sold their homes, abandoned their families, and ran up debts in preperation for the " end of the world ". Several pregnant women reportedly had abortions " so they would not be too heavy to be lifted into heaven " and at least 4 followers committed suicide before October 28th. Finally the day arrived and thousands of these followers gathered in their various churches around the world and in Korea to await their departure to heaven. 15 minutes after the deadline passed, Rev. Chang Man-Ho, pastor of the movement, took the pulpit and simply said, " Nothing has happened. Sorry. Let's go home. " The next day some followers physically attacked the preachers who had misled them. One distraught member tearfully commented, " God lied to us . ' As of November 1992, several parents were searching for children who had been kidnapped by members of the radical sect ! Does this sound like something that hurts, or helps people ?

Time will fail me if I go on about Jim Jones, David Koresh, who torched and blew up his own followers ( 100 of them approximately ) promising them they'd sacrifice for God and become spiritual bodies in heaven. What a load of crap ! The point I'm making here is all these cults promise their members things, eternal life, in heaven or earth - but they never fulfill the promises. They do more damage than good ! So if anyone tries to deceive you that you have an easy out in this life by God bringing the end - don't believe them. They probably have ulterior motives - or they are just as much in the dark about the future as you and I. They have no " divine " inspiration. Look : The future has not been written yet. We make our own future by the decisions we make today, in the here and now. So make your future a good one by not being sucked in by JW's, or any cults who try to con you into falsehoods which could waste your entire life ! I welcome any and all comments ! Peace out to all, Mr. Flipper

• OnTheWayOut
  • Leolaia
    Leolaia
    A full page add in 1991 appeared in the USA TODAY saying " Rapture October 28, 1992 Jesus is Coming in the Air ". This was started by a Korean based cult called Hyoo-Go movement. They predicted that beginning on October 28, 1992, " 50 million people will die in earthquakes, 50 million from collapsed buildings , 1.4 billion from World War 3 , and 1.4 billion from a seperate Armageddon ."

I remember that ad; it ran also in my local paper. I think I still have it clipped out.

Here is an important book on the subject of prophetic disconfirmation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_Prophecy_Fails

• watson
    watson
    " After God's alleged date passed, Hinkle claimed that ot did come to pass, but it did so " invisibly " , in the " spiritual realm ". Uh huh.

Well, now, doesn't that sound familiar.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Flipper, It's not just religious cults. Hollywood feeds the frezy, too.

Look what's coming in March.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR126-rJiW8&feature=channel

What do you bet Obves will be first in line?

• KAYTEE
    KAYTEE

It’s a pity these cults that voice this sort of thing can’t be taken to court for giving out false information.

I knew many who gave up much to be ready for 1975, children, homes, work, insurance policies etc.

These organisations have a lot to answer for.

KT

• Chalam
    Chalam

I believe Jesus when he said this

Luke 21:8 (New International Version)

8 He replied: "Watch out that you are not deceived. For many will come in my name, claiming, 'I am he,' and, 'The time is near.' Do not follow them.

One of those is the WT who say that Christ has already returned invisibly, against the warning of Christ himself.

Matthew 24:25-27 (New International Version)

25 See, I have told you ahead of time.

26 "So if anyone tells you, 'There he is, out in the desert,' do not go out; or, 'Here he is, in the inner rooms,' do not believe it. 27 For as lightning that comes from the east is visible even in the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man.

Notice it say visible from the east to the west i.e. the whole earth.

How can people read their bible yet bear the false teaching of the WT?!

All the best,

Stephen

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I second Jerry's recommendation about 'The History of the Time of the World'. I was just reading a bit more of this book last night. Revelation is the key tool used by many of the cults to assure that it's adherants will stay.

The nest was built and feathered by 'John' and 'Paul' in their writings. There has been no end to the leaders who would fill the nest with the unwary.

Jeff

• sacolton
    sacolton

'Here he is, in the inner rooms,' do not believe it.

I seem to recall a interesting piece written that "inner rooms" could mean all places of worship: churches, temples, etc. Catholic, Methodist, Baptists, Mormons, etc and, of course, Jehovah's Witnesses. All the denomiations claim that Jesus is exclusively with their church. No religion should have a monopoly on God.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Don't all christians believe in some sort of Last Days when Jesus comes again ? - The ones I've spoken too do anyway. They believe the whole revelation book is a sequence of events that WILL take place. They believe that those signs are going to be literal and that Jesus will literally come on down, go to Jerusalem & set up his kingdom for a 1000 years - so I'm not too sure what happens to the whole heaven theory then...you go to heaven and then come down when jesus sets up the kingdom & then what??? very confusing. Actually I think that can a point of discussion next time I see them christians.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit