Satellite Debris Falling: Have you seen it?

by cameo-d 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

I thought I did....but it was just Jesus coming home from work!

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    Here's another shot that shows what appears to be debris taking on an orbit pattern.

So who drew these pictures? They certainly aren't photos. A more believable "shot" can be created with Windows Paint.

W

• JeffT
    JeffT

Interesting, the chart accompanying the wikipedia article has the maximum density as one object large than 1MM for a space of 10,000 cubic kilometers. That isn't exactly like there's stuff whizzing by every second.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d
    Here's another shot that shows what appears to be debris taking on an orbit pattern.

So who drew these pictures? They certainly aren't photos. A more believable "shot" can be created with Windows Paint.

W

LOL. You guys are such a tough crowd. (I think you have your JW background to thank for that.)

Anyway, here's more info.

The second pic that you are inquiring about is credited from Astronomical Institute of the University of Bern (AIUB).

http://www.aiub.unibe.ch/content/research/ccd/ccd___general_description/index_eng.html

The first pic above is credited to NASA.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Ok, I just checked the site where the photos are from.

http://astroprofspage.com/archives/256

These are plots, not photos, which explains the 'clipart' look to them.

W

• parakeet
    parakeet

cameo: "At what point will all this debris begin to block out the light?"

Never. The orbits of satellites (and their debris) eventually decay and fall back to earth (remember the Space Station?). I don't know exactly how many satellites would have to be launched to create enough of a barrier to prevent sunlight from reaching earth, but I would guess somewhere around 1,000,000,000,000,000,000, etc. I don't think NASA is quite that ambitious.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit