Eating with worldly people?

by AuntBee 19 Replies latest jw friends

• is there help out there
    is there help out there

When they come to my door I give the some chorkek chip cookies.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

They are told to decline invitations from "worldlings" on the grounds that "TRUE" Christains do not enjoy sharing company with people who do not love Jehoobie.

However the Apostolic teaching is found in 1 Corinthians 10: 27 where Paul writes

"If one of the UNBELIEVERS invites you and yo WISH TO GO, then go" and we can eat whatever is put before us with thanksgiving.

HB

• Chalam
    Chalam

The two elderly JW ladies I invited in to my home to discuss their beliefs would happily drink my tea but never ate the biscuits.

I assumed there was some WT "teaching" using this verse.

1 Corinthians 5:11 (New International Version)

11 But now I am writing you that you must not associate with anyone who calls himself a brother but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or a slanderer, a drunkard or a swindler. With such a man do not even eat.

Surely the WT teaching not to associate with worldly people in general overlooks the previous two verses!
    9 I have written you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people— 10 not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world.

All the best,

Stephen

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Worldly people are DISGUSTING and you cannot eat with them as 2 weeks ago the picture in the watchtower study shows, it leads to immorality!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Witlesses stick with other witlesses. They don't want to associate with people with a different belief system because the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger told them not to--they are afraid that people will see that the worldly system is better and drop the specious lies from the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Aunt Bee...Do you pray over the food?

Maybe that's why he is afraid to eat with you. Maybe it's considered "food sacrificed to idols" if Jehober doesn't personally bless it.

• AuntBee
    AuntBee

WTWiz - It's an unusual situation because as far as i can tell, his main friends are non-witnesses. I just wondered if the 'not eating' thing in his mind makes him think he's still slightly loyal. He does not seem hard core, i think he does enough to get by at home.

Cameo-d - FOr most casual meals, we don't. Only when we sit down more formally. We wouldn't have anyone pray out loud if i felt it would embarrass a guest or make them feel uncomfortable.

Hamster: That's a great Scripture in your reply; it assumes the Christians would be eating with worldly people. Also the reference to associating with "worldly" people in I Cor 5.

Thanks for the interesting answers.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I knew some JWs who wouldn't eat food prepared by "worldly people" because they were afraid these people, under the influence of Satan, might slip some LSD into the mashed potatoes. Yes, I'm completely serious. It didn't prevent them from going to restaurants though.

W

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I am a balanced person and love eating with worldy people. Eating and drinking with apostates is even better!

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

I think many teenage JWs are socially backward. They have not been raised in a way to develop good social skills. He is also probably extremely conflicted about having non-JW friends. But I'm really glad that he does. Just keep making him feel welcome and keep inviting him for dinner. You may have a lifelong friend because of your kindness and acceptance. He very well may not get that anywhere else.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit