So what is the REAL deal with the International Convention

by av8orntexas 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• av8orntexas
    av8orntexas

You know I was baptized in 96 and all this time my understanding of the international convention is that there is one a year ? You have to be accepted to go correct ? I was always put off by that. If Jehovahs Wit-lesses are gods true people, if you have the means to go, why do you have to apply for something that should be available to everyone ? If you don't have the means, why is it so it so expensive. If you're the goob dub they expect you to be, you're a full-time pioneer and probably can't afford it.

A guy I know made mention in passing that he and his wife are going this year and he's about to spend 7K !!

His wife and I work at the same company, a major US airline, they could fly there FREE !!!!!!! Why are you forced to pay the crazy amount that the WTS says pay ? I never got this. Has anyone here ever gone and worked 2-3 jobs to go, and most of all was it worth it or what you thought it would be ?

It comes off as a status symbol among some dubs I've heard speak about it

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

From what I remember it was a matter of if your assigned convention was an international convention. We had one in Long Beach about 5 years ago. No special invite, it was just the one we were assigned to.

I've heard of several traveling to one of these. Why anyone would spend a penny to do so is beyond me.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

I know of a few people who went. To me it is a way for the zealous JW to do something and go somewhere, take a trip, that they would otherwise be made guilty for taking. A lot of these people won't take a vacation because they might get whispered about or seen as being flashy..this gives them an excuse to get some vacation time but feel really important at the same time.

Plus, it creates a wider pool of flesh for those single and seeking relationships to view on the chance they might find a good, clean, zealous mate. sammieswife.

• sir82
    sir82
    my understanding of the international convention is that there is one a year ?

Not true - lately, they've been held every 3-4 years.

You have to be accepted to go correct ?

Correct - you are supposed to be "exemplary". Translation: 10+ hours per month, no recent judicial actions, bonus points for elder, MS, or pioneer.

If Jehovahs Wit-lesses are gods true people, if you have the means to go, why do you have to apply for something that should be available to everyone ?

Logisitics, for one thing. If a stadium can only hold 50,000 people, you can't have 3,000,000 JWs in attendance.

A guy I know made mention in passing that he and his wife are going this year and he's about to spend 7K !!

Probably a middle-of-the-road package. You can easily blow 5000+ per person.

His wife and I work at the same company, a major US airline, they could fly there FREE !!!!!!! Why are you forced to pay the crazy amount that the WTS says pay ?

You can usually buy a "land-only" package, and work out the air transportation yourself. Maybe he didn't know about that? Otherwise, yeah, you have to go with the Society's package.

It's for the same reason that there are those "Recommended Lodging Lists" for the District Conventions. In return for X number of guaranteed reservations, the travel agency will kick in Y number of free trips, which are then parceled off to Bethel bigwigs.

Has anyone here ever gone and worked 2-3 jobs to go, and most of all was it worth it or what you thought it would be ?

I went to a couple, back when I was a true believer. At the time, I loved it, it "built my faith". I was in "good standing" at the time, was an MS, and had a decent enough job that I could splurge on an expensive trip every so often.

Incidentally, those trips are often popular with single folks looking for a good match. The thinking is, "if a guy/gal is a good enough JW and rich enough to go on a trip like this, he/she must be a good catch".

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

It is usually an affluent elder couple ( that can afford several other real vacations that year). We always had to endure a slide show of their trip. The last one I saw had more footage of them eating and drinking in opulent restaurants than at the assembly. Oh and many pictures of them in ancient churches and cathedrals, guess it's OK to go in a church for vacation but not for a workmates funeral.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The deal is that there are around 7 million witlesses (out of which about 1 or 2 million are "qualified" to go, and the others are basically not interested). Most venues only hold between 50,000 and 200,000 people. That would leave something like 800,000 "deserving" people out.

So they have to weed out those who are "least deserving". Because of the limited seating, they have to accept applications. Similar to having job applications, they fill the available space with those who they believe are most "deserving". Once the number of spaces is filled, no one else is invited. Which I believe should have been more on a first come, first served basis (in case the whole allotment is filled, and then some, on the first batch, they could have fair means of thinning them so it will all fit). There is no need to only accept people that pio-sneer, that do more in field circus, or that are otherwise exemlary--boasting session attendance is more valid because if people miss all the regular boasting sessions, they do not value these special boasting sessions.

Personally, I think it's a case of blowing imaginary value out of proportion. These things are worthless. If people could see the real value, they would all be empty. A regular Grand Boasting Session is nothing more than a wastefest where you are told the same crap you heard last year(s), and will be posted online. An International Grand Boasting Session is equally wasteful. Let people see that, and they would be speaking to an empty auditorium. Hell, even my apartment would be big enough to hold it--and it would have nothing but plants and the Christmas decorations as an audience.

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

You're not missing anything especially if you're a true traveler. Plus the trips are waaaaaay overpriced if you ask me. Its better to take the option that allows you to arrange your own air travel. However, if you do this you cannot participate in the "airport welcome" even if you are on the same plane with a ton of other JWs. This is only for those that bought the full package instead of land-only. You actually get tags that identify which option you purchased. Its crazy....ha...you can't even get a ride back to the airport on the bus even if they have extra seats.

Its basically a bunch of old couples, wanna be CO's and their wives, and a TON of single pioneer sisters (many with emotional and esteem issues) looking for a husband. They do not attract many single brothers. You're stuck to someone else's schedule which totally sucks. Just so you know, it is not a vacation. You typically get 1 free day. Depending on where folks will be going this summer for international conventions, it will cost about $3500 per person. And yes, many do use it as status symbol.

• undercover
    undercover

I have some JW family that have attended the last couple of International conventions and are planning on going to the next one. They're just normal rank and file, nothing special, though they do aux. pioneer from time to time. They've even had some disiplinary action in the past. It seems there was a time when you really had to be above reproach to be considered for these trips. Maybe there aren't enough "exemplary" ones left to scam so they've had to open it up to more people?

What has caught my attention is the cost of their attending these conventions. They're not getting any great deals.

I'm wondering if...and this is all speculation...the Society acts as a travel agent, finding and securing low, low costs based on the number of attendees that they make travel arrangements for. Instead of passing the savings on to the attendees, they charge them pretty much the going rate, or slightly less, and pocket the rest of the savings.

I ponder on this because I've done some international traveling and been able to come up with much better deals than what the Society is getting for the JWs attending the conventions abroad.

What really gets me is that they spend all this money and with the exception of a few sight-seeing excursions, they spend their entire time inside a soccer stadium listening to the same boring talks they get here for free...except the talks are in a language they don't understand.

• Plummet
    Plummet

I have some family going this year. It is in Hawaii and they are soo excited. I thought about going at the same time, but just going to enjoy myself and tease them about have to spend their time on the Island in suits. LOL These family members are such good DUBS that they are going to their regularly assigned Assembly as well as the International.

One thing that I had to laugh about is that they had to "Lower" their standards of who could go because they could not fill seats.

• sir82
    sir82
    I'm wondering if...and this is all speculation...the Society acts as a travel agent, finding and securing low, low costs based on the number of attendees that they make travel arrangements for. Instead of passing the savings on to the attendees, they charge them pretty much the going rate, or slightly less, and pocket the rest of the savings.
    I ponder on this because I've done some international traveling and been able to come up with much better deals than what the Society is getting for the JWs attending the conventions abroad.

The society hires outside travel agents to make all arrangements.

A far more likely scenario is what I outlined above - For a promise of "X" full-price reservations, the travel agency throws in "Y" free trips. The free trips go to GB members, Bethel department heads, etc.

The price is so high because the Society invariably picks the peak tourist season to schedule the conventions. E.g., travel to Europe is almost always in August, when prices for airfares & hotels are often 100% higher (or more) than in "low season".

Plus, there's no real incentive for the Society to try to bargain down the price. It's the poor JW peons who end up paying, and who cares what they have to pay! No money comes out of the Society's coffers -- the GB doesn't care, they're getting the free trips! A free trip to Europe or Australia or Japan for free at peak tourist season...not a bad perk.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit