Interesting comment by a JW regarding the new schedule

by wha happened? 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

A buddy of mine who is still serving and doesn't treat me like a leper was chatting with me about the new bookstudy arrangement and the meetings in general. He stated that the way the parts are set up now, that simply winging the answers from the KM or other study material, is next to impossible. He went on to state that he understood that the society is pushing for more pre-study.

At the risk of sounding bad, are there any thoughts on a push to get rid of the fence sitters?

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

I don't think so, even the fence sitters contribute sometimes $$$

• av8orntexas
    av8orntexas

I don't know about that, but there seems to be a push to study, study, study. When I talk to my friend, it seems they are ALWAYS studying, and as I am in a spanish cong and the school is on Fridays......I wonder how much study can you do from Sunday to friday ?

Probably an attempt to keep the droids so busy with an extra night now, that they don't have time to question the WTS.

• sir82
    sir82
    simply winging the answers from the KM or other study material, is next to impossible.

No offense intended, but is your buddy, er, mentally challenged?

The material is as elementary and simple as ever. It is written at about a 3rd grade level (in large font for the visually impaired).

Example:

Paragraph reads "Jehovah is good. Good good good. If you agree, go out in service more, and send us your money."

Question (a) Is Jehovah good? Question (B) What can you do to prove you love him?

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I haven't seen any new publications in quite some time. I took his comment at face value but he's still in, so I take it with a grain of salt

• besty
    besty
    that simply winging the answers from the KM or other study material, is next to impossible. He went on to state that he understood that the society is pushing for more pre-study

hmm... something not right there - the only literature I've read recently is the Feb Awake on planet earth, and I think the average 10 year old could read it with comprehension

there may be a disconnect between the WTS *saying* they need more studying to be done, and the actuality of taking part in/delivering an item

Like are they gonna recommend less studying?

• ninja
    ninja

Some members of the family had been holding their own Bible studies to help understand the scriptures apart from Watchtower dogma. These groups were soon discovered and told to stop unless they would use the Society's publications for reference. On April 30, 1980, Karl Klein of the Governing Body stated to the whole family:

"If you have a tendency towards 'apostasy', get a hobby and keep yourself busy to keep your mind off of it. Stay away from deep Bible study to determine meanings of the scriptures

kk did besty

• yknot
    yknot

Exact opposite here........ winging and last minute prep is all the rage!

In fact we were encouraged before and during a local needs talk to not veer beyond studied text.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Those on the borderline are hounded to do more. If you miss a single boasting session without a doctor's excuse, you will be hounded. If you are not out in field circus, you need a good explanation (which even that might not be accepted). They will find out if donations are not surging, and hound every single person in the Kingdumb Hell to donote more (if one person donates nothing, everyone has to do more).

I, personally, use these "study nights" to reflect on whether God created the "Original Sin" problem where none existed just to use it to extort concessions out of man. I believe that God saw fit to create "Original Sin" so He could indebt us and enslave us. He supposedly provided Jesus as a "ransom sacrifice", when the truth is that Jesus died trying to save civilization from God and religion. Then He expects us to obey rules and give additional sacrifices (despite "Jesus provided a perfect sacrifice, to which nothing ever need be added") in order to gain "salvation" via that route.

It's just that different religions vary on what exactly you need to do to get "salvation". One religion has one set of rules and consequences for breaking them. Another religion has a different set of rules. You might have confession, where you have to recite "Hail Marys" and "Our Fathers". You might be asked to pray for "forgiveness" of "sins". You might be read scriptures and counseled. And various other penances--all of which are for "sins" against man-made rules. The end result of "damnation" might be Hellfire, total death and destruction, darkness, and being denied some reward of life in heaven or on earth. All a scam.

Boy, was that "study night" a bust for the Washtowel Slaveholdery!

• halcyon
    halcyon

fence-sitters can just be a little more quiet. Nobody forces you to answer something you haven't studied. So just sit back and keep your hand down. There's not enough time to call on everyone anyway, especially with meeting parts truncated.

If you have a part on the meeting, perhaps then you need to study more. But that's once every ... how often?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit