Has Anyone Heard this Spin on Melchizedek?

by cameo-d 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• *lost*
    *lost*

bumped

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

This is bizarre. My understanding is that he was probably a priest in an allied Semitic tribe in Canann. He prob. repreents a transition between the old worship and YHWHism. The alternative is that he is a fiction used to convey legitimacy on Abraham.

I saw the Dead Sea Scrolls, a portion of them, in Philadelphia within the past year. If this were true, I believe it would have been on every ubiquitous poster in the area.

Please provide sources from the official Dead Sea Scroll site.

• sir82
    sir82

Isn't there some old WT quote where they speculate that Melchizedek was really Shem, Noah's son?

I doubt they came up with that (if so) on their own - there must have been some source, and the idea appealed to Freddy Franz, so it became official WT canon.

• mP
    mP

Its funny how all the big believers in the BIble are always kings and big shots, Abraham, Jacob, David, Solomon, Job etc. There are no poor people who believe.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I dunno, the "Nipper of Figs" didn't earn a lot I bet. I know what you mean thoug mP, its a bit like when someone "regresses" and finds out who they were in a former life, it is always someone super-famous like Cleopatra or Joan of Arc, and that is only the guys who find their former selves !

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Just a comment on the old post,of 4 yrs ago, above by "Burn the Ships" on the etymology of the name Melchizedek.

He repeats the idea that the WT puts forward (and others) that the name means "Righteous King".

This is not correct, the name means "My King is Zedeq", Zedeq being a very old Canaanite god, so old Mel was, it seems, a Zedeq worshipper as his name suggests.

So, which god did Abraham worship ?

• mP
    mP

@phizzy

Ancient jewish names are confusing because zedek is both a name and a word meaning righteous. technically both are correct. Theres also a priest in the bible called zadok and his name is usually translated both ways.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit