Now they want me to wear a crown

by Elsewhere 25 Replies latest jw friends

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Hey, I have a porcelain throne!

• undercover
    undercover

A Crown ain't nuthin'

The root canal before the crown, now that was a torturous experience...and I've had two of them, though they have come a long way since I had my first one about 30 years ago...

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

All crowns don't also require a root canal. Would that make it a crown of thorns?

• parakeet
    parakeet

Getting a crown is expensive and tedious but not painful. First the dental technician takes an impression of your tooth. Then, using Novocaine, the dentist grinds down the tooth until there's nothing left but a little nubbin. He/she then fits the nubbin with a temporary crown until the permanent crown is made elsewhere and sent back (mine took four weeks). The dentist takes off the temporary crown, again using Novocaine, and puts in the permanent one. He'll probably take some time checking your bite and adjusting the crown so the tooth will closely match the original and you can chew properly. I love my crowns. They look good and feel good.

One caution: The temporary crown is not cemented in as firmly as the final crown will be. Be very careful not to chew anything gooey or very hard (ex. caramels and pretzels). That temporary can pop out pretty easily, and it's hard to get it back in the right position by yourself.

One final caution: You may experience some soreness and sensitivity to hot and cold with the permanent crown. That will pass in a week or two.

Good luck and SMILE.

• musky
    musky

Leolaia, If the filling was deep, its going to be sensitive. I would think the pain would go away after a while though. You could try the sensitive toothpaste. It takes a while to do its thing but helps a lot for certain people.

I am not a dentist, But I play one on JW discussion boards

• musky
    musky

undercover, When I had my root canal, There was really no pain. The endodontist did not even use any Novocain. The hard part was being still with my jaw wide open for a long time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit