Would you support a 'tent' city in your town?

by sammielee24 27 Replies latest jw friends

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Just another facet of the problem-reaction-solution game plan.

Now you will see how the pieces of the puzzle fit together.

There has been rumors that defunct military bases will probably open to house some people who may "qualify" and some of the 501(c)3 organizations will step forward to offer a place to stay for those who "pass" their indoctination boot camps.

The solution will be "green living" where 50 people live in a 2 room shack so it makes less demands on fuel/energy.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Sigh

• Robdar
    Robdar

We might as well support tent cities. I get a gut feeling that due to the economy we are going to have more and more tent cities and soup lines popping up. Of course I could be jaded about this because I am a paralegal for a bankruptcy attorney and see a lot of bad things happening.

• Gregor
    Gregor

My JW Grandparents on both sides lived through the Great Depression when my mother and father were children. My maternal Grandparents lived the "Grapes of Wrath" story (Oklahoma to Calif. via model T with $5.00 and 4 kids). They settled in Calif. and my parents married during WWII. We were always "poor" but my Dad managed to provide a roof over our head, school clothes and regular meals. Since my two sisters and I went out into the world we have had a better standard of living than our parents or Grandparents.

The stories I heard about the old days when I was growing up always made a big impression on me and I don't take things for granted. With todays economic doom and gloom I feel somehow comforted knowing we have a garage full of first class camping gear!

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

look what's happening now.......

Tent City Residents are being Tagged by Government!!!!

Dozens of Ontario police and code enforcement officers descended upon the homeless encampment known as Tent City early Monday, separating those who could stay from those to be evicted.

Large, often confused, crowds formed ragged lines behind police barricades where officers handed out color-coded wristbands. Blue meant they were from Ontario and could remain. Orange indicated they had to provide more proof to avoid ejection, and white meant they had a week to leave.”

Many who had taken shelter at the camp — which had grown from 20 to more than 400 residents in nine months — lacked paperwork, bills or birth certificates proving they were once Ontario residents.

“When my husband gets out of jail he can bring my marriage certificate; will that count?” asked one tearful woman.

Another resident, clearly confused, seemed relieved to get a white band — not understanding it meant she had to leave.

Pattie Barnes, 47, who had her motor home towed away last week, shook with anger.

“They are tagging us because we are homeless,” she said, staring at her orange wristband. “It feels like a concentration camp.”

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/orange/la-me-tents18mar18,0,1589130.story

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Camp Arnie: A Glimpse of Things to Come

California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger said a make-shift tent city for the homeless that sprang up in the capital city of Sacramento will be shut down and its residents allowed to stay at the state fairgrounds.

The homeless will be “allowed” to stay at Cal-Expo? More like they will be required to stay there, either that or hit the streets.

In other words, the homeless, usually out-of-sight and thus out-of-mind, are a public relations disaster for Arnie and officialdom in California. Now that they will be forced to live in the deteriorating Cal-Expo, media access can be micro-managed by the state. “Too much media attention can be a bad thing. At least that seems to be the case for a tent city of 200 that sprang up a year ago in Sacramento,” ......

“At shelters you must share space with junkies, drunks, anti-social and emotionally deprived people. Shelters are dangerous, and violent. Rather than staying in a shelter and in order to preserve one’s sense of self, people stay in cars, crash with friends (’couch surfing’) or otherwise stay in the woods or on the streets somewhere,”......

Nagin planned to institutionalize the homeless. It looks like California is in the process of doing the same. Prior to this, Nagin “suggested a way to reduce this city’s post-Katrina homeless population: give them one-way bus tickets out of town.” Nagin’s frustration was a direct response to FEMA’s handling of the homeless crisis — the supposed emergency management agency put the displaced in toxic trailers and then dumped them on the street. “While some have moved to homes of relatives in other states, others are living in cars, or have joined the rapidly growing New Orleans homeless population,” Deepa Fernandes wrote for Mother Jones in 2008.

FEMA’s ludicrously (and maybe prophetically) named toxic trailer camp — “Renaissance Village” — was in essence a concentration camp. “When you first drive up on the FEMA site you see a chain-link fenced in property with stark crowded trailers and no trespassing signs posted along the perimeter. When you drive up to the entrance you will see security guards at the front gate. It doesn’t take much of a closer look to notice that the security guards are armed. FEMA requires all residents to carry Renaissance Village ID badges at all times,” explains a blog on the subject.

You will have to show your ID’s, tell them who you are going to see and their trailer number and they will write down your license plate number on your vehicle when you come in. Mark Misczak, the agency’s human services director for Louisiana said it is“private, like a gated community”. It is unlike any gated community we have ever known of, except a prison. When the site opened FEMA had a ban on firearms.

“It is wrong to force citizens to give up their constitutional rights in order for them to get a needed federal benefit,” said NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre.

Of course homeless people reduced to entering a fenced FEMA camp surrounded by armed guards shouldn’t expect to exercise their constitutional rights. In fact, they didn’t have the right to talk to the media, either. At a FEMA concentration camp in Plaquemines Parish, Louisiana, in 2006 a reporter was prevented from talking to inmates.

http://www.infowars.com/camp-arnie-a-glimpse-of-things-to-come/

Cal-Expo
    Livestock area at Cal Expo, the new home for Sacramento’s homeless.
  • Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

That's scary stuff cameo-d, what append in Ontario is just sickening. I'm not sure if I can trust all of what is on infowars but if it's all true then there is something very wrong going on.

• blondie
    blondie

jws had tent cities back in the 50's 60's and 70's for their conventions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit