Would you support a 'tent' city in your town?

by sammielee24 27 Replies latest jw friends

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

I read this comment in the Sacramento news and wondered how many would support a 'tent' city for the homeless in their town? I personally don't know how it works other than that I imagine it cloisters those homeless who wish to take of advantage of it into one large area, and provide them with toilets and tents and perhaps some form of help in the way of volunteers offering food or medical assistance. Once legal and set up, what would happen? sammieswife.

Sacramento is moving closer to establishing a "tent community" where the homeless can live. The plan still needs city and county approval. If you were on the council or the board of supervisors, how would you vote on the issue?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Obamavilles? ;-)

The homeless have to live somewhere. They squat on public lands in some places around here. Meth zombies. In a lot of latin American countries, squatters rights are a lot stronger than here. In Costa Rica, if someone owns land and doesn't watch it, squatters can lay claim to the areas they squat it and they are legally entitled after only a few months. It is the same in Venezuela where my wife is from. There are whole towns that sprout up this way. I guess if you own so much land that you can't watch it all or make it productive......

BTS

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

BTT. This is a great thread. Time was in this country that a person could homestead on vacant lands. People need to live somewhere.

BTS

• Gregor
    Gregor

Portland, Or. had a problem area a few years ago with a homeless squatters camp under a bridge not far from downtown. No sanitation, drunks and druggies, etc. They cleared them out and fenced off the access. They then opened a large, fenced vacant lot in an industrial area for the squatters to build their makeshift shelters, established no drug or alcohol rules, provided porta pots and water. It came to be called "Dignity Village" It's been their for years. Not sure how it is doing now. Last I heard it was somewhat 'successful'.

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

I would be afraid of crime and so forth there, mainly for the safety of the person's belongings and safety of themselves.

However if that could be ensured, then I'd be all for it.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I'm hopeful that President Obama will provide these persons with a job that pays a Living Wage. This will allow them to live in a nice house. Further, the Universal Healthcare will allow them receive any substance abuse treatment that some of them may need.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Dignity Village referred to above.

• Dune
    Dune

For a second there, i thought that basketball hoop was a satellite TV dish.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

When compared to where my sister-in law was living in Venezuela, a place like "dignity village" looks like luxury accomadations. My wife lived like that as a child too. Dirt floors, no running water. Elctricity illegally tapped from the main power lines.

By the way, the JWs would love to have this as part of their Field Circus territory.

BTS

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

Dignity Village It should provide the basics....roof over one's head. ..and a temporary place to land. A shame is that a lot of folks that are homeless are Veterans that come back from war with TBI and mental illness..and the government lets them down....tosses them aside like a burned out Humvee.

The place shouldn't be great..or more people would want to be there. I have never understood how people in subsidized housing can afford cable (with 4 digital boxes) or satellite. Make such places safe and temporary but not a place to live for generations. Three generations in the projects is ridiculous. Public Housing for able bodied people should not be a lifestyle.

When I was in India, folks did not even have as much as the people in the picture above... I seen human beings lying in the middle of the sidewalk without any kind of covering at all...and barely any clothes...tattered and dirty. They would have loved Dignity Village.

BTS:

By the way, the JWs would love to have this as part of their Field Circus territory.

That is because JWs prey on the weak and marginalized in society. Most everyone else won't fall for it.

snakes ()

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit