Might the Watchtower Society be preparing accept EVOLUTION soon?

by slimboyfat 30 Replies latest jw friends

• sir82
    sir82

Nope - no way.

They are merely taking the tack that JWs are encouraged to take when they run into a householder in field service who presents too many good points - the JW is instructed to view that person as "not meek" or "unreasonable", stop the argument, and move on.

There is no way to win an argument, based on anything other than a literal interpretation of the Bible, that humans suddenly appeared out of "nowhere" 6034 years ago. Everything else - written history, biology, sociology, archaeology, you name it - contradicts the JW interpretation. So the Society's strategy is:

-- Assert that the Biblical creation account is true, using the flimsiest of arguments (or no arguments at all)

-- Choose not to respond to any criticism whatsoever - anyone who doesn't accept the assertions is clearly "unreasonable", so just ignore him.

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

Don't bet the ranch on it!

• yknot
    yknot

Well as I have understood it all my life.......

We do believe greatly in the possibility of the ark's animals being of each "kind", rather then every known species.

Also remember many of us grew up hearing that each "creative day" was 7000 years each, which has been expanded to the possibility several thousands more.

I don't however think we will accept evolution...... entirely.

Creationist can always still claim "God's Will"......

EX: I recently bought my child the game 'Spores' to play during the CA.........Some (Elder P included) feel the game encourages the acceptance of evolution. I however argued the position of similarity to Jesus being the masterworker and his first choices of living things. .... yes there are 'evolutionary' points to the game but my child much like Jesus/Jehovah is in control of the direction....... (awesome game BTW)

• still_in74
    still_in74

stranger things have happened in this cult as we all know, but I dont see it.

It was a big deal whent they moved away from the young earth, another big moment that passed with hardly a whisper. I dont think most dubs noticed.

Now as a JW you can beleive that each creative day could have billions of years, and that animals may have roamed the earth millions of years before man but still be of the same creative day.

Dinosaurs were created and then let to die off during the same creative day as mammals 50 million years later.

When EVERYTHING you believe in is invisible, unprovable, speculative and symbolic, I guess anything can be true!!!!

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

Interesting observations!

If the WTS drops its anti-evolution stance, I think it should be part of a larger paradigm shift towards (a more) liberal theology (which is unlikely at this stage). It would be a very very drastic change stirring the r&f.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

I think they're accepting devolution. Now that they've made monkeys out of millions of people.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Might the Watchtower Society be preparing accept EVOLUTION soon?

IF they did, what would they do with stories of people being born of a virgin, walking on water, and rising from the dead?

In my opinion, a group that relies on smoke and mirrors can't get objective about even one thing due to the principle of equal application of principle. For example, what happens to Eden if selection of species is rational? And if Eden goes, there goes Cain, Lot, Noah, and Abraham too. And if Abraham goes, so does the Exodus, Moses, and Saul. It's a room full of dominoes.

• jws
    jws

I do know one thing. As a child, growing up in it, I always felt like I had a more reasonable answer to what I heard in science than the "young earth" crowd. The JWs once said creative days were 6000 years, then they said it could be any length. So, when scientists would say something about millions of years ago, it fit. It resolved with my religion.

A compromise about God using evolution could be something that appeals to the many, many people who realize that traditional creationism doesn't jive with science. It's kind of like a church that teaches that the world is flat. Who's going to believe that? The Catholic church has changed its positions to accomodate science over the years. It's either that or lose all credibility.

But then you give up what you've gained by being reasonable when you feed them the rest of the BS. So does appealing to the thinking people really help the JWs? I don't think so. I don't think the ones who are thinking in the first place are going to fall for the rest of it. So they might be better off with the people who reject science and are happy to believe in myths and legends.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I think they are less worried about evolution than they are about people going online and finding out that the core doctrines are all bogus. If too many witlesses start turning atheist or realize that it doesn't even abide by the Bible, there won't even be a religion to teach creation.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

They have already put in print about 3 years ago that there probably is micro-evolution

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit