PDF documentation regarding 1975 prediction in WT publications

by cabasilas 48 Replies latest watchtower bible

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

The Awake! articles and the Life Everlasting book did not make it into the CD-ROM for obvious reasons.

They are on my CD-Rom

• happy2bfree
    happy2bfree

Many thankscabasilas for your excellent effort researching and posting

information which is of much help to all who wish to become enlightened

regarding the Watchtower Society’s deception.

Couple of samples from the 68 Awake you posted:

Awake Oct 8 68:

“WHEN God puts an end to this present

system of things shortly…” P17

“Do you want to be

"left over" in the

earth when this

wicked system is annihilated

soon at Armageddon?” P 29.

For one hundred years they have been fear mongering that Armageddon

was coming “soon”, “shortly”, “imminent”. Then they really stepped it up

for the 1975 debacle; yet more than 40 years after publishing the above-mentioned

statements in the 68 Awake, Armageddon has not appeared. How despicable their

claim to be “Spirit directed.”

I fell for that deception for a period; however, the closer we got to 1975

the more I realized that their forecast was unscriptural and recommended

caution to the brothers; you do not need to guess, I became very unpopular with the hierarchy.

Michael

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

J. R. Durrell's talk "Can You Sleep on a Windy Night?" (1973) is another jawdropper. It backs a little off on the date of 1975, but it pulls no punches in emphasizing the utter urgency of the moment.

H. W. Zenke's talk "Enlarging our Privileges of Service in the Time Remaining" (1969) relates experiences of brothers selling their homes.

The 1971 talk "Who Will Conquer the World in the 1970s" was another important discourse. Newspaper articles about the talk quote it as claiming that the 1970s was a "decade of destiny" that will "see the outcome" of the present struggle between the superpowers. I haven't yet seen a recording of the talk however.

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega
    J. R. Durrell's talk "Can You Sleep on a Windy Night?" (1973) is another jawdropper. It backs a little off on the date of 1975, but it pulls no punches in emphasizing the utter urgency of the moment.

I've uploaded the original talk here for anyone that hasn't heard it. http://www.sendspace.com/file/xt29yb

28Mb mp3 file.

This talk was repeated in 2006 by Justin Shaw - a UK CO but lacks the impact of the original.

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

I just wanted to acknowledge the responses. I've been away with some school projects. Thanks, everyone! I had Durrell as a circuit overseer in Southern California in the early 70s. He was quite the "go getter." I remember the Zenkes from the Brooklyn Heights Congregation in the mid 70s. I imagine they're gone now. I'd be interested in hearing Zenke's lecture if anyone has it.

I keep on hoping someone will come up with a copy of the lecture: Who Will Conquer the World in the 1970s?" I heard it delivered by Angelo C. Manera, Jr. in Norwalk, California.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

cabasilas....Do you remember anything from the talk? I would love to hear it too. I did dig up some newspaper reports of the talk, in which it was reported that the speaker said that this was "a decade of destiny" when Christ Jesus and 'us as Jehovah's witnesses' would conquer the world.

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

Well, I was only 16 at the time so my memory has faded somewhat. I'm sure it referred to the accepted chronology. I do remember it cited some verses from 1 John where it says that Christians conquer the world by their faith. What I remember more is Manera's sytle of delivery. He was quite forceful.

• carla
    carla

Thank you!

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

You're welcome, Carla. Glad the files can be of use.

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

I have this snippet of a talk from the 1969 New York District Convention... I don't have the speaker's name.

"Enlarging our Privileges of Service in the Time Remaining"
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/iqaxum

I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, so if there are any problems, or it is the wrong talk, let me know and I'll take it down.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit