Google broke?

by IP_SEC 18 Replies latest jw friends

• free2think
    free2think

Googles ok here.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Ya its fixed now. Was looking up some esoteric off the beaten path stuff & was like WTF!!! They censoring? Then realize even their own site returned the same result

I dont believe in antivirus JD, cept for scanning specific files on demand.

Hardened machine.
    Safe practices
    Locked down PIX 5500

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

It's been ok for me all day, but I use google.ca

W

• oompa
    oompa

mine is perfect....but that damm google chrome and i have a luv hate relationship......great for surfing.....but it will not let me cut or paste anything when on jwd.......and it will not let mey type anything in hotmail except the subject line and address bar....no main body allowed....hope they fix it all soon.........oompa

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Dood, U can so haxxor chrome.dll and change the user_agent with a hex editor.

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

here's the news story:

Google users get bogus warning on site searches

'This site may harm your computer' appeared with every search result The Associated Press updated 1:54 p.m. CT, Sat., Jan. 31, 2009

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. - Computer users doing Google searches during a nearly one-hour period Saturday were greeted with disturbing but erroneous messages that every site turned up in the results might be harmful.

The company blamed the mistake on human error and apologized for any inconvenience caused to users and site owners whose pages were incorrectly labeled.

The glitch occurred between 9:30 a.m. and 10:25 a.m. ET, Google said in an explanation on its company blog. Anyone who did a Google search during that time likely saw the message "This site may harm your computer" accompanying every search result, the company said.

Google said it routinely flags any search results with that message if the site is known to install malicious software in the background or otherwise surreptitiously, a practice aimed at protecting its users. It gets its list of suspicious sites from StopBadware.org, a nonprofit project headed by legal scholars at Harvard and Oxford universities who research consumer complaints.

Saturday's error happened when the latest update to the list was received from StopBadware but was checked in erroneously in such a way that the warning would apply to all URLs, the company said in a statement.

The glitch was caught by on-call staff and the file was quickly fixed, Google said. Since the updates are applied in a staggered and rolling fashion, the errors began appearing at 9:27 a.m. EST and disappeared no later than 10:25 a.m. EST, with the duration for any particular user approximately 40 minutes, it said.

"We will carefully investigate this incident and put more robust file checks in to prevent it from happening again," said Marissa Mayer, vice president of search products and user experience, in the statement.

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28950149/

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Haven't had any search problems - but my link to Gmail has been failing to connect for the past few days. I just thought I had a faulty link. Just a few minutes ago the link failed, but when I went to search and clicked for mail it opened. Strange.

Jeff

• John Doe
    John Doe
    I dont believe in antivirus JD, cept for scanning specific files on demand.

I must be mixing you up with someone. Someone on here was giving me a hard time for having this position a while back.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Well it mighta been me. I should have used the caveat: I dont believe in antivirus for me. I do believe in antivirus for normal End Lusers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit