Have you read this book?

by Eyebrow 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Heinlein is considered one of the great writers of the last century. "Stranger in A Strange Land" was required reading when I was in school.

Like many really thinking people, he was certainly critical of religion and of those who live under the illusion that they are leading a special life in a special relationship with an invisible god and being guided by a special holy spirit. Even a cursory reading of Mr. Poole's posts will show why we should be critical of this type of delusional thinking, as those who suffer from it feel that they are in such a superior position to the rest of us that they can learn nothing from critical thinking or reasoning.

They are also willing to guide their lives - and would like to be guiding all the rest of us as well - according to a set of books created by people who worshipped a tribal war god starting over 3,000 years ago. They also claim - despite considerable evidence to the contrary - that these books are divinely written and without error.

It is because of people like Mr. Poole that we need writers like Heinlein and the other great souls who not only entertain us - but also force us to use our brains!

But take heart, Mr. Poole, I understand Abba at least is making a comeback! There's this play that's quite popular right now...

S4

• patio34
    patio34

Thanks for the recommendation Eyebrow. I'm looking forward to reading it. Ordering it off Amazon.com today. :-)

Pat

• Mommie Dark
    Mommie Dark

Conflicted, a whole lot of people missed the comical aspects of Heinlein's Martian religion. Check out Church of All Worlds online; they follow the novel's religious outline as closely as possible. Smegging morons, but funny in a sick sort of way. Orgies as church service, 'thou art god' invoked as orgasmic truth. Nutters, based in Missouri... I met some of these folks in my communard days, they were seriously screwed up in '75 and have grown into institutional idiocy since then.

Heinlein was a sexist intellectual snob and his female characters pretty much make me wanna puke. He did write some ripping yarns for young men though. I admit a sneaking fondness for Lazarus Long, and his notion of zero-g childbirth is inspired, but IMO Heinlein is overrated as author and visionary. If CAW is his legacy, he got what he deserved.

• SEAKEN2001
    SEAKEN2001

"So I am curious as to how this man can enlighten me more about myself than divine Biblical scriture with the Holy Spirit at my side. Is this man iron by which I can sharpen myself in Christian spirituallity?"

Uh, no. It is obvious that this man can be of no help to you. You might as well pass.

Sean

But, for others here, who have not already achieved such a high state of developement and do not have a holy spirit buddy, it would probably be a great read. But you really do have to be able to think to enjoy it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit