Have you read this book?

by Eyebrow 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Eyebrow
    Eyebrow

About three years ago my future husband suggested I read a book by Robert Heilein called, JOB: A Comedy of Justice".

I reccommend this book to everyone and anyone that has been in any religion. It is quite an amusing, but disturbing story about a minister that keeps being put into different lives. It addresses a few different versions of heaven and hell.

About 1/3 into the book I got pissed off at the author because he was making so many good points. Understand, this is a novel, not a work of nonfiction, and it is not preachy. It is a riot, but really opened my mind regarding religion in general. You can find it at Barnes and Noble.com and I am sure a bunch of other places.

Has anyone else read this book?

• MikeNightHaShev
    MikeNightHaShev

NO I haven't read that one but if you have time you can find my free non fiction book titled "Keepers of the Unpopular Truth" and you can tell me what you come away with in reading it.
    I warn people it's like a woman giving birth in that the begining is a blessing great in anticipation. Each chapter is like cycles of the months of labor. The further into the chapters the more pain you have to endure, but by the end comes a beautiful new birth.
    Therefore you have to struggle enduring through the later chapters which are painful in order to get to the blessed rebirth.
    Hopefully by the end you come away with a whole new outlook on life and religion.
    http://www.vidavision.com/faith/hashev/freebook.html

• Eyebrow
    Eyebrow

I will check it out...may take a while before I can read the whole thing (we are in the middle of moving) but I will let you know what I think when I am done.

• conflicted
    conflicted

Robert Heinlein wrote another book called "Stranger in a Strange Land" that played with religion in a comical way.

To make a long story short and not give anything away: An earthling born on mars is brought home and later starts his own religion.

His endeavors and misunderstandings about human nature make for some humorous situations. A very good read.

• Thomas Poole
    Thomas Poole

How would these readings help the Christian?

Perhaps, it is more for the antichrist mentality.

Explain please.

• cynicus
    cynicus

eyebrow: I do recommend most books by Heinlein. One of my favourites is 'Starship Troopers' (and don't mention the movie *PLEASE*). I also like 'Friday' and 'Glory Road' amongst others.

conflicted: some rumours have it that this Heinlein book made Hubbard start Scientology.

• ChuckD
    ChuckD

I'm with you on Starship Troopers. Absolutely loved it as a teen. How could they have dared to make that into a movie without the suits? That was the key element in the story for me.

• SEAKEN2001
    SEAKEN2001

Thomas,

first, I don't think there is a "the Christian". Your idea of Christianity is probably far different than mine. But, I think many Christians would benefit from a critical exposition of relgious idealogy in general. Heinlien is an excellent writer and his way of expressing things may make you see yourself in a completey new light. That, I think, is always beneficial. Too many of us who have called ourselves Christian do not really see ourselves as we really are and need a wake up call, so-to-speak. I don't think you will be disappointed in reading the book.

And what exactly is the "antichrist mentality"? JW's, it seems, place all former JW's into that mentality. Where are you in relation to that?

Sean

• Thomas Poole
    Thomas Poole
    ...I think many Christians would benefit from a critical exposition of religious idealogy in general. Heinlien is an excellent writer and his way of expressing things may make you see yourself in a completey new light. That, I think, is always beneficial.

I am always eager for a critical examination of myself. It served me well in leaving the WT.

Too many of us who have called ourselves Christian do not really see ourselves as we really are and need a wake up call, so-to-speak.

Daily, I see myself in a struggle against myself, Satan, and this world with its mindset of men's philosophies, godless institutions, religious traditions, and so forth.

And what exactly is the "antichrist mentality"?

The Bible says the antichrist are those who oppose the God of the Bible and his Son Jesus Christ. By extension, I include those opposed to the Holy Scriptures.

So, about this critical exposition of religious [Christian] idealogy by Heinlien, I still inquire as to the nature of his examination.

Does he disregard the Holy Spirit, faith, the existence of the God of the Bible, and the past actuality of Jesus Christ in history?

Does this man understand the spiritual nature of a Christian led by the Holy Spirit? Perhaps he plays the critical observer with lack of Holy Spirit, as such.

Is Heinlien tending a cultural antropological methological approach as to exploring religious symbols, rites and passages, dogma, doctrine, and so forth about religion in general? Perhaps he is more directed toward Christianity, in the vain of it being just another religious system of belief, this done with the position of undermining knowledge and respect for divine Biblical scripture.

Does this man drown in exploratory philosophical quandries, preponderances, and conjectures. All of this one can do and sound plausible, and yet be independent of God. Perhaps he feels like the German educator William Kant, saying there is no God because of what he feels is cruelty in nature.

So I am curious as to how this man can enlighten me more about myself than divine Biblical scriture with the Holy Spirit at my side. Is this man iron by which I can sharpen myself in Christian spirituallity?

• Eyebrow
    Eyebrow

I think anyone that has a fundemental understanding of ANY major religion would find this book interesting...maybe even downright infuriating, haahaa!

I have read another one of Heilin's last summer, cannot remember the name, but it is about a guy that is one of the few that does not wish to mess with his genes to procreate.

My husband is a HUGE fan of his. He has a ton of books here, including the stranger in a strange land, starship troopers, and about 15 others.

While I have not read Hubbard, my husband has a few of his scifi books and say most are quite good. To me, Hubbard was able to pull off the ultimate scam. He created his own religion in such a short period of time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit