FreeBird

by purplesofa 12 Replies latest jw friends

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mioGewkWVdo

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2009/01/28/lynyrd-skynyrd-keyboardist-billy-powell-dead-at-56/

Billy Powell, the only keyboardist Lynyrd Skynyrd ever had, died last night at his home near Jacksonville, Florida. He was 56. No cause of death has been announced, and a post on the official Synyrd Website reads, “A Great Loss — Beloved Pianist for the Lynyrd Skynyrd Band, Billy Powell, passed away last night. We will post more info shortly. The family and band request your respect and understanding during this difficult time. Thank you.” The band is canceling upcoming shows and directing fans to its Website for tour updates.

Powell first joined Skynyrd in 1973 after serving as the band’s roadie for a year. His keyboard work features prominently on the band’s debut (pronounced ‘leh-’nerd ’skin-’nerd), with Powell credited for crafting the intro for their epic anthem “Free Bird” (Number 191 on Rolling Stone’s Greatest Songs of All Time). After impressing Ronnie Van Zant with his work on the song, Powell was officially invited to join the band, and remained a member from their debut album until 1977’s Street Survivors.

Powell survived the 1977 plane crash that took the lives of singer Ronnie Van Zant, guitarist Steve Gaines, backup singer Cassie Gaines and other crew members. Despite suffering injuries including facial lacerations and nearly losing his nose, Powell was the first to be discharged from the hospital and was the only member to attend his bandmates’ funerals. After Skynyrd, Powell joined the Christian rock band Vision, but reunited with Skynyrd after a decade-long hiatus for some concerts in 1989, and ultimately remained with the band until now. In May, Skynyrd played their first-ever gig at New York’s Madison Square Garden with Kid Rock.

Powell and the rest of his Lynyrd Skynyrd bandmates were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2006. With Powell’s death, guitarist Gary Rossington becomes the lone surviving original Skynyrd member touring with the band.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Lynyrd Skynyrd Pronounced was the first album I ever got growing up. Second Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon.

After the plane crash I never thought of the new band as Lynyrd Skynyrd and did not keep up with them.

I think Billy Powell lived around Neptune Beach outside of Jacksonville, FL where I spent two months with my sister this past summer.

The band has a club/bar down there on the beach. When the band performs there, my sis said there are lines for blocks and blocks to get in.

Anyway, RIP

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I heard this one a couple of days ago.

Best.

Fucking.

Song.

Ever.

BTS

• purplesofa
  • Kinjiro
    Kinjiro

One of my all time favorites.. not too long ago I tried posted this song on a thread about 'songs for the ex' but was not able to...

It is the song for my ex wife and the song for the Washtowel Suciety... 'cause I'm as free as a bird now... and this bird you'll never tame!'

LONG LIVE LYNARD SKYNARD

• falcon
    falcon

Ah Lynyrd Skynyrd's Freebird, THat song brings back such good concert memerories...Smile.

Do you remember how you could hardly go to any kind of concert and someone would shout FREEBIRD?

I was at a Gorden LIghtfoot concert and someone shouted Freebird and he got angry. Ha, He neede to chillout.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

I saw Skynyrd a few years back with Ted Nugent as the opener. Great show!

• undercover
    undercover
    Do you remember how you could hardly go to any kind of concert and someone would shout FREEBIRD?

We were at a Run DMC show at an outdoor festival in Memphis a few years ago. The group was late to start. It was hot and humid. People were getting irked. Someone yelled out "Freebird!". Everyone laughed, then a few people started singing and then pretty soon most of the crowd was singing the song. We even did air guitar and mimiced the sounds of the two lead guitarists in the solos at the second half of the song.

It was a great impromptu moment...

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

We're leaving for the funeral tomorrow. We're taking Ean Evans and his wife. Ean has been in Nashville receiving radiation for cancer.

First Leon, now Billy. I was devastated when we got the call in the middle of the night.

There truly is a hell of a band in heaven right now.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Hey momz,

Have a safe trip I will be thinking of you,

Was wondering where the funeral was going to be and where he will be buried?

nosey me.

purps

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit