NEED HELP with Watchtower or publication quotes (age of the earth)

by Tatiana 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

The Book "From paradise lost to Paradise regained" (1958)

PAGE 18 - PARA. 2 "Nearly 42 000 years had passed from when God said "Let light come to be."

Five creative days of 7 000 years each had gone by and now the sixth day was almost finished."

Geology shows that the landmasses formed billions of years ago. Plants animals etc likewise.

What crock they spouted. What else have they still GOT WRONG?????

The older witlesses don't want to distress themselves by considering that the Borg is wrong - just

that the UNDERSTANDING of the Borg (in the past ) was wrong.

According to that book, from the earth being a ball of molten rock to Adam and Eve was less than 43 000 years.

But where else can we go to for a rich banquet of spiritual food?

More like a great steaming pile of "life - giving truth"

HAHAHAAHAHAHHAAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH

HB

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Since the landmasses are PROVABLY older that 42 000 years,

that means that when God said "let light come to be" they already existed!!!

the fossil recoed shows (PROVABLY) that microbes and other creatures existed more than 42 000

years ago.

ditto plants, ditto the stars (placed IN the "expanse between earth and heaven" Ge 1:17)

The Witchtower has constructed all kinds of glosses to explain these things away -

But their main argument in favor of creation is that no imperfect HUMAN could have guessed the

order of creation given in Genesis. Since the geological record proves it didn't happen in the order

given in Genesis, their argument is facile and deceitful.

In fact the order of creation given in Genesis can only have been thought up by a human.

Common sense dictates it.

HB

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

Thank you all so much for the info. It is a great help!!! I'm going to "discuss" this with her now.

She told me last night that that is what she loves so much about the borg. That it changes with new information. I guess that's what they tell themselves now. I told her that sure wasn't a good thing for all those who could not receive blood factions years ago. No reply yet.

I will update as she gets backed into a corner and disappears.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

I never remember the JWs teaching the "young earth" creationist idea that it's only ~6000 years old. I was always taught that the earth is of an "indeterminate" age; certainly not incompatible with the scientific statement that it's 4 billion years old. (Of course they teach that mankind is only ~6000 years old which DOES conflict with science.)

However, I have heard that older JW teachings say the earth is about 50,000 years old, with each creative day being equal to 7,000 years. That's an old teaching though as far as I know.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

From my NWT, Revised 1970 page 1461

TABLE OF THE BOOKS OF THE BIBLE

Name of BookThe WriterPlace writtenWriting completed (B.C.E.)Time Covered (B.C.E.)
    GenesisMosesWilderness1513After 1:2:46,026-1657

I think the green NWT says the same.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

It is probably too late, but here is one I would use....

A watchtower study article from 15 August 1968 entitled "Why Are You Looking Forward to 1975?"

30 Are we to assume from this study that the battle of Armageddon will be all over by the autumn of 1975, and the long-looked-for thousand-year reign of Christ will begin by then? Possibly, but we wait to see how closely the seventh thousand-year period of man’s existence coincides with the sabbathlike thousand-year reign of Christ. If these two periods run parallel with each other as to the calendar year, it will not be by mere chance or accident but will be according to Jehovah’s loving and timely purposes. Our chronology, however, which is reasonably accurate (but admittedly not infallible), at the best only points to the autumn of 1975 as the end of 6,000 years of man’s existence on earth. It does not necessarily mean that 1975 marks the end of the first 6,000 years of Jehovah’s seventh creative “day.” Why not? Because after his creation Adam lived some time during the “sixth day,” which unknown amount of time would need to be subtracted from Adam’s 930 years, to determine when the sixth seven-thousand-year period or “day” ended, and how long Adam lived into the “seventh day.” And yet the end of that sixth creative “day” could end within the same Gregorian calendar year of Adam’s creation. It may involve only a difference of weeks or months, not years.

Cheers

Chris

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

No, it's not too late, Chris. We are still "debating." Thanks for this info too. I need all the ammunition I can get.

• smiddy
    smiddy

My understanding was (in the 1960`s ) Gen 1:1 was a statement of an event that could have occured millions of years ago,in relation to the universe .From Gen.1:2 onwards referred only to Jehovah`s preperation for mankind to inhabit the earth.

smiddy

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Smiddy,

That is my recollection too.

It didn't make sense to me.

I just went along with it cos it was 'the Truth' and not to believe it was to end up dead with my school mates.

Cheers

Chris

• wherehasmyhairgone
    wherehasmyhairgone

i might be way off here,

but when i was a JW just 10 years ago, I was told that man being created , god entered the 7th day of rest , then was told that each day was 6000 years. so this 7th day is almost over and then armagedon comes.

but.... from what i know they now claims ( as confirmed by a door knocker recently) the 'creation' period can be countless millions of years, even when the animals were created, but ther is a problem with this .

based on the each day being now millions of years, then by following this argurment thru... gods rest day can last for millions of years to, pushing armagedon back by errr...... a VERY long time.

So it sounds like they are having the cake and eating it, and also last year didnt they have micheal behe in the awake, who is a 10,000 year creationist follower...kinda weird they used him to defend creation when they don't agree with his view

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit