Forgiving traditionalists, offending Jews

by hamilcarr 23 Replies latest social current

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

On Saterday, 24 January Pope Benedict XVI lifted the excommunication of Richard Williamson and three other bishops punished for having been consecrated without papal consent 20 years ago by the late French conservative Archbishop Marcel Lefevbre. One of the four bishops, the British-born Richard Williamson, has made a number of statements denying the full extent of the Nazi Holocaust of European Jews, as accepted by most mainstream historians.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

The division is being repaired. Wonderful! The personal views of some of the bishops notwithstanding.

BTS

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

The division is being repaired. Wonderful!

Wonderful?

Political positions taken by Marcel Lefebvre:

-support for Vichy régime, which collaborated with Nazi Germany

-support for Videla, Pinochet, Franco & Salazar regimes

-support for Le Pen

-condemnation of French Revolution

-opposed to freedom of religion

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Lefebvre did not get excommunicated for any of these political positions. He received excommunication latae sententiae for consecrating four bishops that the pope of the time told him not to. What is wonderful is that all those SSPX churches that had suffered schism due to the excommunication are being brought back in communion with the rest. This is a first step.

BTS

• John Doe
    John Doe

I've yet to meet an honest Catholic.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

That's very sad.

BTS

• Priest73
    Priest73
    That's very sad.
    BTS

Don't sweat it BTS. John is just training for the special olympics.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Political positions taken by Marcel Lefebvre:
    -support for Vichy régime, which collaborated with Nazi Germany
    -support for Videla, Pinochet, Franco & Salazar regimes
    -support for Le Pen
    -condemnation of French Revolution
    -opposed to freedom of religion

You do realize Lefebvre (that caused this) is dead for a long time?

BTS

• John Doe
    John Doe
    Don't sweat it BTS. John is just training for the special olympics.

For some reason, I'm reminded of when Cartman competed in the special olympics.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

One of the four bishops, the British-born Richard Williamson, has made a number of statements denying the full extent of the Nazi Holocaust of European Jews, as accepted by most mainstream historians.

A man and his personal viewpoint on history shouldn't offend anyone. Why would the Jewish community be offended? I read the man's opinion and he isn't questioning the events at all - he only questioned the numbers. He wasn't minimizing the action at all. Is this why people are so hesitant to give an opinion? sammieswife.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit