School apologizes for 100-0 victory

by keyser soze 20 Replies latest jw friends

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I found this story rather interesting. While I don't believe the team should forfeit, I did think there was an appalling lack of class and sportsmanship displayed by the winning team:

http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=903780

• inkling
    inkling
    The private Christian school defeated Dallas Academy last week. Covenant was up 59-0 at halftime.
    Dallas Academy has eight girls on its varsity team and about 20 girls in its high school. It is winless over the last four seasons. The academy boasts of its small class sizes and specializes in teaching students struggling with "learning differences," such as short attention spans or dyslexia.

Ha... "Who Would Jesus Humiliate"

[inkling]

• inkling
    inkling

seriously though, what should they have done?

Stop playing?
    Run out the clock?
    Say "i'm sorry, you suck too badly to even continue playing with us..."
    Go easy and "let them" score a few points?

Wouldn't that be even more condesending?

[inkling]

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    seriously though, what should they have done?

Not running a full court press, and continuing to fire up three pointers when you're up by 60 points is a good start. There's an unwritten rule in sports that you don't run up the score against a team that's overmatched.

• Gregor
    Gregor

In boxing, the referee has the job of stopping the fight when it is obvious an opponent cannot defend themselves. This is to prevent serious injury. I have seen fights where the dominate boxer starts looking at the ref as if to say "hey, stop me". He is there to beat the crap out of the opponent and it is not his place to stop fighting or then he would be declared the loser.

The girls basketball teams both did their best and it is ridiculous for the winning school to apologize and even seek to forfiet the game. This just adds insult to the honest defeat of the other team. Condecension = rubbing it in.

IMVO

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

There's a difference between quitting and altering your style of play when you are up by a comfortable margin. This is why we see professional sports team put in their reserves, and run a more conservative style of offense when they have a big lead. This is why football teams who are way up take a knee when they are by the goal line, instead of trying to score another touchdown. It's not condescending, it's sportsmanship.

• inkling
    inkling
    This is why football teams who are way up take a knee when they are by the goal line, instead of trying to score another touchdown. It's not condescending, it's sportsmanship.

Maybe to some. If I were on that losing football team, and saw the other team take a
    knee instead of going for the goal, I would feel insulted.

However, if I were in a boxing match or sword fight and the other person starts pulling
    punches becuase they were worried about hurting me, I may feel grateful....

However, I would also take it as my cue to ADMIT DEFEAT.

It should be the responsibility of the losing team to gracfully admit when they are overmatched,
    and they should concede with full honor.

In chess you tip over your own king, to put yourself out of your misery

[inkling]

• Gregor
    Gregor

Keyser, I think you are using a football analogy because you can't think of the equivalent of "taking a knee" in a girls basketball game. When a football game is in the last seconds and the outcome is obvious, it can help avoid pointless injuries to run out the clock. They sound like a very well coached team in the skills of playing basketball. Do you think the team should have trained on what to do in case they are delivering a serious ass whipping? Should they have taken a time out and discussed the option of not playing their best? You haven't really addressed whether it is condescending by offering to forfeit the game after the fact.

(PS. I have seen football fans go nuts when the winning team takes the knee and runs out the clock. This is invariably because they have a bet riding on the point spread!)

• inkling
    inkling

There IS a entirely different and less condescending reason to not play your best possible game...

You avoid any risk of hurting your best players needlessly, because your 2nd string can do the job just as well.

I assume this is more of a big deal in football than basketball

[inkling]

• Fadeout
    Fadeout

"Dallas Academy has eight girls on its varsity team and about 20 girls in its high school. It is winless over the last four seasons."

This being the situation, they should know what they're getting into when they set foot in the gym against another school.

"At a shootaround Thursday, several Dallas Academy players said they were frustrated during the game but felt it was a learning opportunity."

Good for them to have this attitude. Being winless, they get a lot of these learning opportunities. This is what the real world's about. Sports are supposed to teach you about life. They teach you how to succeed but also how to fail. Perseverance, sportsmanship, mental toughness... these are things you learn from losing.

On the other hand...

The Covenant School should have never agreed to play the Academy in the first place. Like a bully picking on a 90-pound weakling, there is neither honor in victory nor defeat. Whoever made the decision to schedule this game is the real idiot here.

Once the committment to play had been made and the game had started, I certainly can't blame the coach or the players for winning as dominating a victory as possible.

Besides, it could have been worse...

scoreboard

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit