Sin

by desib77 29 Replies latest jw friends

• desib77
    desib77

How do you not invest some curiosity in what they are "selling"? Doesn't "what if" ever haunt you?

• cluless
    cluless

Do we know in black, white or shades of grey?

Had Nazism have won would it be thought of as righteouse ?

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

No. What if's don't bother me.

I don't think there is any such thing as sin. I don't think there is any such thing as pardonable sin and I don't think anyone can actually define the word. If you break the law that we set collectively ie murder, then you punishment from law is due. I've never understood that old 'you cussed' that's a sin; you had sex before you got married that's a sin; you lied, that's a sin; you stole a flower from that ladies lawn, that's a sin; you were born and you are full of sin. A good way to keep people in line. If religious law doesn't work then the next level is legal. sammieswife.

• desib77
    desib77

I wish I could get past my hang ups about it like it seems many of you have.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff
    How do you not invest some curiosity in what they are "selling"? Doesn't "what if" ever haunt you?

Curioiusity is great. And your question I think merits further thought.....

I don't think it healthy for anyone to stay in one place. We must grow, and we must consider the possibilities.

However, it isn't healthy to sacrifice "what is" for "what if".

What we know is that many theists are willing to sacrifice now for the future. It is all positioned on this single thought: The end of your human life isn't the end of you.

Sin = death. (i.e. the end of you) Theists offer life heretofore unseen and unproveable if you agree to worship an invisble god. The only possible thing that could motivate a person to keep this up is to scare them.

"God doesn't approve of you or your actions." "You are sinful." "Believe, exercise faith, or die forever. Believe, and you will live after death."

Death is scary, and it is the biggest bugaboo religion throws at us.

The problem is, despite milleniums of time, not one claim has been proven. Meanwhile, history shows us "what is". That is to say, the effects not of sin, but of the teaching of sin....

There are benefits to those who teach it; power, money, control. Not all use this cynically, but most have.

A discussion of sin obscures the more important discussion regarding aspects of productive human behavior. When we can use the critical analysis and thinking faculties we all posses, we can filter out what is good productive behavior from that which is superstitious and designed to somehow appease the invisible deity, but which in actuality enslaves people to man made religions.

To deny sin isn't to deny that which is right or wrong. It is a different, non theistic perspective that puts humanity and love on a higher priority over sin and trying to appease "god".

• desib77
    desib77

Hmm...That is a lot to think about.

This is going to seem strange but here is something that I think about. Religon teaches a possible life after death. They (most of them) also teach that a spirit lives on after death. Growing up I knew things that had happened to people (all of which were pinned on demons). Just because I don't necessarily believe that demons are messing with people doesn't mean that the unexplicable things happened (ex., things moving around). This makes me think that there is definitely a possibility of something unknown to us such as spirit beings or maybe some sort of existance after death. I have no idea what I think about it all but it certainly has lead to a lot of my "what ifs".

Not sure if I explained that well but I tried. I guess I think if it is possible that there is a conscious being other than us out there somewhere than maybe there is some chance that there is something to the whole what happens after death thing. This in turn makes me wonder about sin which possibly aids in determining what happens after death.

I really don't know if that all makes sense. In my mind it did but I guess I'll find out if anyone else understood. :)

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

desib77

I agree with you. (and I understand you too. )There is a lot of unexplained phenomenon out there. And I have zero issues with anyone who decides to interpret these phenomenon one way or the other.

As long as those interpretations are personal. But to inflict a conclusion on others while not being intellectually honest, that isn't cool..... But thats what religions do.

To think for yourself and give yoruself permission to think things through while considering the evidence and what your own inner being tells you is a challenge for all ex JW's. Thinking is a muscle that JW's don't get to use much, and it is not comfortable at first. But you will grow as a result.

I wish you the best in your deliberations!

• desib77
    desib77

Thanks! And, thanks for the thoughts on this. You're right. Kind of nice being able to question things and to contemplate all of the possibilities.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

desib77

Pat Condell has a lot to say. Whether or not you agree with this, I found it thought provoking and relevant to your thoughts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjZ-lSn0A3M

• desib77
    desib77

Thanks. I'll listen when I get home from work today.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit