On growing up, having a spine and being dishonest

by lola28 13 Replies latest jw friends

• lola28
    lola28

I read the last two posts on my previous thread last night and I thought about posting, but to be honest I found them hurtful and I was angry enough that my post would have been very harsh, so I took a step back and figured I could let it go until today when I wouldn’t feel the need to really say what I’m thinking about the previous posts.

Purplesofa, the bible study was actually a walk in the park, we went out to lunch and just talked about the economy, Obama and saving money, we went over maybe five paragraphs in the new book and that was that, all I did was recite the answers straight from the book. As to why I went to the meeting, well what can I say? I’m like super interested in becoming a pioneer and maybe going to Bethel!

The serious answer to that is the following, a lot of these sisters are very old, they don’t drive and they are not married to someone who would willingly drive them to the hall, eight years ago when I was a teenager they were still in good health, they could take the bus or god even walk to the hall, but eight years takes a toll and some of these sisters have seen drastic changes in their health, some of them can’t even drive, one of the sisters that used to drive them out in service and to meetings is terminally ill, she can’t even eat solid foods any more and is confined to her bed, so when I was asked to drive them to the hall I did and I don’t regret that because I extended to them the kindness I hope someone would extend to my mother, my sisters or even myself.

Here’s the thing ladies, I finally learned the difference between being a child and being an adult, children live their lives expecting to be catered to, it’s always about them and what they want and need, and to hell with everyone else because it’s all about them. As an adult sometimes you have to do unpleasant things for the people that you love, I had to clean my sisters surgical wounds on her legs for three months, I absolutely hated it because I can’t stomach gore but I still did it because that’s what adults do, they grow some and suck it up. Don’t you get that? Don’t you understand that these lovely ladies did not change? I did, it was my choice to leave and it is my choice to lend a hand to them if I’m able to because I can step back and clearly see that the world does not revolve around me and my wants and needs.

If I had to drive them to meetings or take them to the doctor or get them dinner or help clean their homes, I would do it because its basic human compassion it’s what you do for people regardless of whether you believe in the same god or not. As a person it would be shameful if I refused to help based on something as silly as religion.

I know that many of you will chime in asking if these women would do the same for me and I think all I can say is that it doesn’t matter to me if they would, I’m not responsible for them and their actions but I am responsible for me and I think I would have a hard time sleeping if I knew I could help someone and refused to do it simply to spare myself from a few uncomfortable minutes.

I have a spine.

• crapola
    crapola

Well, I think what you did was very loving and I would hope to have you as my friend if I needed help.

So don't worry about negative remarks. Just do what makes you feel good and happy!!!

• lola28
    lola28

Thank you Crapola!

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Good stuff, Lola.

Showing love, rather than talking about it.

Practice, versus theory.

Fulfilling the Bible's command to show love to widows and orphans, etc.

-LWT

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

Cleaning sores for a loved one, taking care of a sick relative or good friend, doing errands for someone who can't are all very noble and what most people do for ones they care for.

Having a bible study, transporting people to and from cult meetings, and sitting though these same cult meetings to make someone else happy is just plain silly IMO. If you were df'd or da'd these same people probably would look the other way if you were laying in the gutter and just needed someone to piss on you to make you better. Oh not to mention the "creepy elder". Just tell him to $*&^ off!

Do what you have to do, but don't get upset when you put it out there and don't get the response you need or want. There is nothing childish about standing up for what you believe or don't believe or doing things you want to do, not what others want you or expect you to do. That's called being an adult, making your own decisions and dealing with the consequenses of that decision.

nj

• llbh
    llbh

Looking after those you care about without looking for reward is the mark of a true friend. Accepting that we are responsible for actions is the part of growing up too.

I, along with others, am caring for my elderly mum in law at the moment - she is lovely , but her hubbie, who she adores, is not easy to get along with. If we are looking for anything else other than friendship it is akin to a a contract.

We all know that what the wts is about control, which is why we have gratefully moved on.

Regards David

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Whatever your motivation is for studying or going to the hall, if that's what you want to do then go ahead. Who cares? Part of "growing up" is the ability to make decisions and carry them out without feeling the urge to explain yourself to anyone.

W

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Lola, I was happy to read your post. I was thinking of this the other day when I was listening to a progressive station bragging about how rude they planned on being to Bush on his way out-and all the generally hateful things they were saying, and I kept thinking then, as I think again today-how we treat others shouldn't be a reflection on what we think they deserve, it should be a reflection of WHO WE ARE. No one's opinion of Bush or those ladies is going to change if you are nice to them, but many peoples opinion of YOU would change if you are hateful-and obviously, it is your nature to be kind. Do we do to others what we would want them to do to us, or do we treat them in a way that would be heartbreaking and unkind if it were done to us?

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I'm buying out of this BS

Anyone who can lie effectively is capable of using bullshit. Since it is an abstract form of currency, it is used to "buy" abstract things. For instance, a child can tell their parents that they are almost done with their school project and ask for some free time, even though they haven't even started yet. If their bullshit is of a high enough quality, then they can "purchase" some undeserved leisure and get away with it.

This basic practice is the same whether you are a small child or the president of a large country. If a person with strong bullshit production skills finds himself in a sticky situation, all he has to do is spend some bullshit to buy his way out.

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Bullshit

I could pet you, nuture you, try to coddle you out of this one, but I just don't feel like it.

purps

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Bullshit,

Lola, I've notice that you tout your kindness but if someone disagrees with you on this board you become ruder than rude. A lot of people here have taken care of folks, friend and loved ones, without compromising their intergrity. It is so nice you to visit the elderly lady but why continue with the pretense of a bookstudy? I wouldn't. I would do the visit, drive them to the hall (not stay and listen to the drivel), and do whatever else I could to be of help, but I would not lead that woman on by letting her conduct a bookstudy with me to put down on her time.

So yeah I still stick by the spineless label I gave you.

You also need to grow up,

Josie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit