My sister called! I've written her a letter...

by Confession 29 Replies latest jw experiences

• civicsi00
    civicsi00

Damn, that was an awesome letter! Mind if I borrow a few words here and there..?

Most of my family members feel that I've just "lost my way" but never actually ask why I stopped going. It's funny. It's easier for them to "assume" things about you than to actually come up and ask you.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Bravo!

• Confession
    Confession

This has happened before, so before any others ask if you can use it, the answer is, "Yes, feel free to use it. No problem."

Most of my family members feel that I've just "lost my way" but never actually ask why I stopped going. It's funny. It's easier for them to "assume" things about you than to actually come up and ask you.

Ha! Then I think you understand how I feel. While my sister's tone was very kind, it was also incredibly condescending. The average full-on, indoctrinated JW simply cannot imagine that we no longer believe it's The Truth. It must be that we've just decided to follow some sinful, empty path--or we've just allowed ourselves to forget how clearly, obviously and plainly the WTS = The Truth!

• still_in74
    still_in74

excellent job... I am marking this one!

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I have noticed that most of the time, if they dare hear anything you say, they often retort with the 'look what good the organization does'. In their minds it excuses all the lies and hypocricy and falsehood.

Yet, that argument can be overcome also, with clear headed reason. The problem is, they don't have clear heads.

When Jimmy was force-feeding the kool-aid, had there been many clear heads in the group, there is no way he could have forced 900+ to drink death. You can't shoot 900+ fast enough to keep a lot of them from making the jungle. Yet only a handful got away.

Jw's like the kool-aid for the most part. But it should never stop us from trying to reach them. I know I have never been able to give up on them.

I hope she puts down the dixie cup and runs.

Jeff

• cawshun
    cawshun

This is a very nice letter. I think she will read it, I know I would out of cruiosity, but what her final feeling on it is, who knows. I hope for her sake, she can start to see why you believe as you do and starts to do her own investigation. One never knows what one thing will get them to really thinking.

I also see that with the latest WT material, they are trying to reach out to those that left and try to get them to come back. I guess, she had an alterier motive in her call to you, glad you stood your ground and that you were polite about it.

Keeping my fingers crossed that your letter will get her to thinking.

• steve2
    steve2

I like your letter and agree with an earlier poster that your sister will probably read it in its entirety. It will be a bit of a "test" about whether she will pick up the phone in the future. But sibling bonds are often stronger than religiously-imposed rules. Give her time. Very few of us saw the "light" in one single moment. For most of us, it was a steady realisation that the Watchtower Society is not a purveyor of "truth". Again, you letter is superb.

• DoubleVision
    DoubleVision

Great letter! Thanks for sharing.

DV

• besty
    besty

great letter an definitley one that needs shared to a wide audience

If i would add one thing it would be to suggest to the JW reader you will induce cognitive dissonance in them, right now as they read, so they can experience the feeling and know how to recognise it.

"A closed mind . . . could even be a sign of uncertainty or doubt. For example, if we are unable to defend our religious views, we may find ourselves lashing out against those who challenge our beliefs, not with logical arguments, but with slurs and innuendos. This smacks of prejudice and of a closed mind." [Awake!, November 22, 1984, page 4]

"As you read that quote from the Awake! did it seem strange that this might be how Jehovahs Witnesses react when unable to defend their views? The information is clearly aimed at new potential converts, not at current Jehovah's Witnesses - do you perhaps feel that I'm somehow 'beating' you with the Society's own literature, that I'm being 'clever, with logic'? Cognitive dissonance is the discomfort experienced when trying to hold two opposing ideas simultaneously - perhaps you could make some time to research the causes of this well documented phenomenon. You know the above quote is good accurate information, yet you also know that it doesn't apply to Jehovahs Witnesses - they don't lash out when unable to defend their views, they are completely open to a logical discussion around all sides of an argument, aren't they?"

or something....

great letter though...

• Amha·’aret
    Amha·’aret

Wow! Really, WOW!

Usually I skim read the longer posts but I just had to read this slowly and in its entirety. What a concise, easily-understand, non-thought-stopping letter. Amazingly well written. Well done!

I hope it reaches your sister and many others since you've allowed it to be used by the other posters also.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit