Do JWs wear veils?

by cameo-d 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

In a crunch situation I had been known to put a napkin on my head. It was covered right?

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Women with Kleenex on their heads are so HOT!

W

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

So how do you explain to a study that a napkin on your head makes you more godly?

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Yeah, the women wear Paper Towels on their heads.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Is this a Muslim influence?

• yknot
    yknot

The JWs point to 1 Corinthians 11:3-10.

I have had some sort of 'head covering' stashed away in my bookbag or purse since the age of 3......

While I don't relish or desire 'taking the lead'..... I am always prepared to do so.

Here is the OD Books comments:

Organized to Do Jehovah's Will Page 73

At times, small congregations may be composed entirely of sisters. When such is the case, a sister who prays in the
    congregation or conducts meetings does so with her head properly covered, in harmony with the Scriptural arrangement. (1 Cor. 11:3-
    16) In most cases, they remain seated, facing the group. None of the sisters give actual discourses at meetings. They read and
    comment on the material provided by Jehovah’s Witnesses, or for variety, they may cover it in discussions or demonstrations.

In a newly formed congregation, brothers who qualify for appointment as elders or ministerial servants will be recommended
    to the branch office. If no one qualifies, as in the case of a group made up entirely of sisters, the branch office will designate one of
    the sisters to care for correspondence with the office and to carry on meetings. In time, when brothers qualify for appointment, they
    will care for these responsibilities

Here is the JW standing per Kingdom Ministry March 2005, p.4, para. 2, Part 7-- Conducting Progressive Bible Studies

Who should offer prayer at a Bible study? If a baptized brother accompanies a sister on a study, he would offer prayer, although the sister might conduct the study while wearing a head covering. (1 Cor. 11:5, 10) On the other hand, if an unbaptized male Kingdom publisher accompanies a sister on a study, she would offer prayer. In such a situation, she should wear a head covering when praying as well as when conducting.

sorry the quote option overlaps sentences for me.....

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

Catholic women often use a headcoving, not just because they are with a "brother" but only inside church as an outward sign of reverence to god, not to any earthly man, and is only worn inside the church.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

oh I hated it - and I only had to do it once - when reading at the bookstudy cos there was some kid twerp that was baptized but couldn't string a sentence together even though given. We must have looked ridiculous.

as for Veils - I've never known a sister that is getting married to cover her fact - I'm sure it had to do with a pagan practise.

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

you do not have to wear a head covering when reading at the book study, that must have been a misapplication of that rule.. I guess they did it "just in case"...

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

I remember being about 13, unbaptised, and my mother's friend a sister, wore a hat whilst saying a prayer for a field service arrangement. There was confusion as to whether i should say the prayer. Because it was a congregation arrangement and there was no baptised brothers there, apparently she had to wear one because she was taking the place of a brother.

Paul

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit