How to stop Vista hard drive thrashing

by Elsewhere 41 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Ever notice Vista thrashing the hard drive like there's no tomorrow for no apparent reason? Ever notice how Vista will do this forever and without end? Every try to get work done but Vista is too busy thrashing the hard drive and sucking up precious resources causing the system to slow down so much that you can't get anything done?

YUP! Me too!!!

One of the main things that drives me NUTS about Vista is how it likes to engage the Search Service or Index Service scan process when I'm in the middle of doing work.

I don't know who at Microsoft thought it would be a good idea to have these running while people are using there systems, but this guy needs to have his pants yanked to his ankles, be dragged out to the parking lot by his nuts and stomped to death. (I used to be such a nice guy before I met Vista)

To turn off these extremely annoying processes, just follow the instructions on this page:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/09/17/disable-and-turn-off-windows-vista-search-indexer-and-indexing-service/

Someone might say: On no! Don't turn those off or you can't find anything on your system!

That someone is probably not aware of Google Desktop. The wise people at Google had the bright idea to have their search tool perform its indexing while your system is idle and not being used. The Google Desktop is also far better, faster and produces better search results than the POS MS Search tool in Vista.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Thank-you Thank-you Thank-you

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Within a week of getting a new Vista computer my 250 GB C:\ drive only had 20 GB of free space remaining. WTF??? I ran Treesize and found the search feature created a 160 GB database. It must have indexed all my network drives by default. I can't think of any other reason for it getting so big.

W

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

no wonder the rumors are strong Microsoft is ditching Vista - long live SP

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Yep, that indexing service is really badly done.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Microsoft was once an excellent company. A little pricey, but a premium product.

Now, it is just pricey crap. Pure crap--they no longer seem to give a f*** about fixing problems as they are reported. They just sit there like a dope, allowing problems to continue accumulating until the programs are virtually useless. They always seem to lock up or create problems where none existed to "encounter" so the programs can "need" to close.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

You could download Windows 7 beta version!

Apparently Windows 7 is due to go live around September and tipped to replace Vista cos everyone's so fed up of it!

emo's sticking firmly with XP for as long as possible!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I sure hope Microsoft will give every Vista user a free upgrade to Windows 7

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Gosh I miss XP. I haven't upgraded my PC at home because I hate Vista so much. It reminds me of some of the other failures from Microsoft. My sister in law has a connection a Dell and I may be able to score a laptop with XP new

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I'd like to buy a notebook or netbook but I'm holding out until Windows 7.

No way I'd buy a new system only to have to upgrade a few months later.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit