What is the JW belief on resurrection?

by sacolton 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sacolton
    sacolton

Who is it that is going to resurrect the dead?

1. Jehovah

2. Jesus

In my nine years, I don't recall ANY teaching that Jesus will be doing the resurrecting. Is there anything in print on this?

• Clam
    Clam

On their site they say " It will be into such a cleansed earth that Jehovah God through Jesus Christ will resurrect the dead." Bit of a team effort by the sounds.

• yknot
    yknot

Jesus............

I was told Jesus wakes everyone from the memorial tombs with his voice....

(John

5:25-30)25 "Most truly I say to YOU, The hour is coming, and it is now, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God and those who have given heed will live. 26 For just as the Father has life in himself, so he has granted also to the Son to have life in himself. 27 And he has given him authority to do judging, because Son of man he is. 28 Do not marvel at this, because the hour is coming in which all those in the memorial tombs will hear his voice29 and come out, those who did good things to a resurrection of life, those who practiced vile things to a resurrection of judgment. 30 I cannot do a single thing of my own initiative; just as I hear, I judge; and the judgment that I render is righteous, because I seek, not my own will, but the will of him that sent me

This is what I found in the "Bible Teach" book.....

During that thousand-year period, Jesus Christ will "judge the living and the dead." (2 Timothy 4:1) "The living" will be the "great crowd" that survives Armageddon. (Revelation 7:9-17) The apostle John also saw "the dead . . . standing before the throne" of judgment. As Jesus promised, "those in the memorial tombs will hear [Christ’s] voice and come out" by means of a resurrection. (John 5:28, 29; Acts 24:15)

• sacolton
    sacolton

"when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God "

I'm confused. I was taught that the dead of conscious of nothing. How can they "hear"? How do those dead that have become ash hear? Since JW's don't believe in the immortal soul after death ... how can their dead body hear anything?

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

They do not "hear" with their physical ears.

Jesus voice transcends the physical world.

When I was dead, I could hear and see things going on in my room.

All the machines read that I was flatlined.

I talked to them...but my voice was not connected to my body and no one could hear me.

There is another dimension, Sacoulton.

• civicsi00
    civicsi00

You're asking too many logical questions, Sac.

Quit it.

But yeah, it is supposed to be Jesus, by the power vested in him by Jehovah.

The funny thing about the JW belief on resurrection is that it's not a resurrection at all! They teach that the dead are "recreated" with a new body. I used to wonder how we would recognize our family members who died and would be resurrected. Sounds to me like the JW's will be dealing with people they don't physically recognize except by associating with them. Their family members are nothing more but bodies implanted with a computer chip (of sorts) with all their memories. Very unconventional.

I recognize resurrection to be a "standing up" of the original body. When Jesus went to resurrect Lazarus, he didn't "recreate" a new body for Lazarus. Then again he had only been dead for about 4 days... And Jesus, too, resurrected his own body.

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

The funny thing about the JW belief on resurrection is that it's not a resurrection at all! They teach that the dead are "recreated" with a new body. I used to wonder how we would recognize our family members who died and would be resurrected. Sounds to me like the JW's will be dealing with people they don't physically recognize except by associating with them. Their family members are nothing more but bodies implanted with a computer chip (of sorts) with all their memories. Very unconventional.

I did a video on this on my youtube channel. That's essentially the belief the way it was described to me. It doesn't make sense to me either. The general consensus on the hundred or so comments on this video is "We don't know how he'll do it, but he'll do it."

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

1: Russell taught that everybody who ever lived will be resurrected.

2: Boozerford taught that everybody who rejected the message after 1914

will not get a resurrection because they are judged as goats in the "separating work"

3: Those witlesses who commit suicide will not get a resurrection. (pre 2000)

4: Those witlesses who commit suicide will get a resurrection (post 2000)

5: The great crowd receive a heavenly resurrection (Russell)

6 The great crowd receive an earthly resurrection (Rutherford)

7: Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, Solomon will be resurrected in 1925.

8: The resurrection of the annointed began in 1878.

9: The resurrection of the annointed began in 1918 -19

HB

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

SORRY

10: Those rejecting the message who die will be resurrected (change of "sheep and goats" ca 1995)

Hb

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

1: Russell taught that everybody who ever lived will be resurrected.

And here's the irony.

Are you not a composite of all your ancestors?

Have they not, in a genetic way, been resurrected through you?

They are in your DNA.

Are you not, through your DNA and your future progeny....resurrected?

Perhaps their definition of it and yours are two different things.

You assume you know what it means, but that's just your idea of it.

That is the way Genie's trick people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit