The Power of Saying "I Choose to Believe"

by BabaYaga 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wobble
    wobble

It is all a quandary, but isn't it wonderfull to feel the freedom to believe whatever we want for however long we want?

I now call myself a "Scientific Christian" in the sense that I have theories as to what is and what isn't but I am willing to change those theories when new evidence presents itself,even if that evidence is the reasonings of posters on JWN,and not what some would term solid evdence.

This means that my beliefs are in a constant state of flux,but so what? I am happier now than ever before in my life,because I am intellectually FREE!

I believe what I believe NOW until someone posts a better idea on JWN,so keep on posting!

love

Wobble

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga
    Narkissos said: ...strangely in my mind it was connected with faith. It takes faith of some kind to walk without (the illusion of) knowledge, without even knowing what or whether you will be able to believe the next day, week or year.

How bizarre, and I've never considered that before. It takes a tremendous amount of faith not to believe! Yet faith is considered to be such a religious (and dare I say it, "god fearing") concept.

When I left, I had NO DOUBT in my mind that shunning was NOT making the most high happy, and I also had no doubt in my mind that I had a better relationship with (god) than the elders did... whew... cocky little thing, wasn't I? But I was firm in my resolve. I had complete faith in that... and that allowed me to leave.

Good heavens, that's it... our faith that something is terribly wrong has got to be greater than the faith we have held for the organization! This is boggling my mind right now. I never realized how much faith it took to leave. Does that mean that one faith MUST be replaced with another for anyone to move on?

Wobble said: This means that my beliefs are in a constant state of flux,but so what? I am happier now than ever before in my life,because I am intellectually FREE!

Amen, Brother Wobble! Nothing will be learned if we are convinced we already have the answers to everything! As Einstein said so perfectly, "Imagination is more important than knowledge."

~~~

I am realizing that I really should say "I WANT to believe" and sadly, that has no power at all! HA!!! The true power really is in saying "I have no idea."

~~~

Still pondering and loving it...
    Baba.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    I never realized how much faith it took to leave. Does that mean that one faith MUST be replaced with another for anyone to move on?

I think what changesis not so much the basic movement of faith (or belief, or trust, whatever you may call it), but the names, definitions and mental representations of its "object" ("Jehovah," "God," "the universe," "life," "love," "people," "yourself," even "I-don't-know-what" or "almost-nothing"). "Faith" in that sense (subjective faith, fides qua creditur as theologians used to say) is most often implicit and as coextensive and essential to human existence as breathing (inasmuch as human existence is symbolic as well as physical). You can't "lose" it because you don't "have" it, but it is implied in any of your words, actions or moves. Perhaps one merit of Christian tradition is highlighting the value of "faith" per se (e.g. "your faith has saved you"), thereby allowing the definitions of its "object" to change again and again. The flip side being Christian dogmatism, i.e. the permanent definition of the object of faith as lifesaving.

Of course this is a simplification, as you probably do not believe in the Watchtower "Jehovah" in exactly the same way as you believe in "love," for instance. But still there is a continuity: it is not entirely different either. The metaphor of walking by faith comes to mind, as well as the pretty obscure Pauline expression "from faith to faith" (ek pisteƓs eis pistin, Romans 1:17), although this is probably not what he meant.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga
    Narkissos said: "Faith" in that sense (subjective faith, fides qua creditur as theologians used to say) is most often implicit and as coextensive and essential to human existence as breathing (inasmuch as human existence is symbolic as well as physical). You can't "lose" it because you don't "have" it, but it is implied in any of your words, actions or moves.

Interesting. I'm sure there are those who would fiercely disagree with you, but that would be more of a knee-jerk reaction to the word "faith", I think, and also a long discussion on definition.

I agree with you, I see your point. I'm not sure it is quite as essential as breathing, but to a cognizant and HEALTHY human, yes, I fully believe they have to have "faith", even if it is that the sun will rise again tomorrow.

This is reminding me of the book Why God Won't Go Away: Brain Science and the Biology of Belief, by Andrew Newberg.

Thanks, Narkissos, this is good stuff.

Love,
    Baba.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit