The Power of Saying "I Choose to Believe"

by BabaYaga 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

I just said this to a friend, and then I stopped to think about it.

I choose to believe. That implies that I know there are many other ideas and beliefs that might be right also or right instead of what I choose to believe. The fact is, I might be totally wrong, but... this is what I CHOOSE to believe.

Whereas this might seem wishy-washy to some, (and of course it sounds like a self-inflicted death sentence to those who do not have their own minds) it is a monumental statement of power for those of us who were not raised with choices. It is a powerful reclaiming of our own minds and our own choices, and shows faith in our ability to discern.

It felt wonderful. I like it.

• undercover
    undercover

The problem arises when someone says, "I choose to believe" despite the evidence contrary to the belief held...

If one can say, "I'll have to re-evaluate my beliefs due to this new evidence", then that's wonderful.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga
    Undercover said: If one can say, "I'll have to re-evaluate my beliefs due to this new evidence", then that's wonderful.

Point well taken and agreed, Undercover! I am willing investigate and question as well. Yes, you are right... the questioning remains the important part of the "choosing".

Love,
    Baba.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

For me the greater power was saying, " I choose NOT to believe"

I had been dictated to most of my life. I finally got to a point, thanks to the internet, where I knew what I didn't believe.

I'm still not always sure of what I do believe but you can be positive I know what I don't believe

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga
    Lady Lee said: For me the greater power was saying, " I choose NOT to believe"

Ha! Touche' on that, Lady Lee... yes that was HUGE. I nearly had a nervous breakdown getting to the place where I could proclaim that one unwaveringly!

Indeed, it was the power of saying "I choose NOT to believe" that gave me the power to choose what I DID and DO believe. I am happy to say that seems to change (and grow?) and I am not disconcerted by that.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I choose to believe that I am the President of the United States of America.

I also choose to believe that I am a space alien from Pluto and I have a pet Invisible Pink Unicorn.

If you do not respect my saying those things and accept that they are perfectly sane things to say, then you are a fcking hypocrite.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings, Dear Baba:

I, too, am reevaluating most things spiritual/mythical.

It's a fascinating journey, one not the least fraught with indecisive laments and hand-wringing. Past all need for the nervous-breakdown-I've-worked-hard-for-and-nobody's-going-to-deprive-me-of-it mentality [I used to be quite mental], I've never been more at peace, despite my ignorance on so many levels.

Love,

CoCo

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I am not entirely convinced by this motto and I'm trying to understand why.

I can certainly look back on moments when I have said "I believe" and now say, "I then chose to believe". But this is hindsight, reflection, re-evaluation, implying distance from the act (or event) of belief itself.

Now can I say "I choose to believe" -- and at the same time, or henceforth, actually "believe"? Or, whenever I do believe, can I really choose (not) to do so?

Doesn't "I choose to believe" (present tense) practically mean, "I choose to do as if (or as though) I believed"?

The closest I can come to that (but is still a quite different subjective position) is "I believe, even though I know I may not believe (or believe differently) tomorrow".

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga
    Elsewhere said: If you do not respect my saying those things and accept that they are perfectly sane things to say, then you are a fcking hypocrite.

I choose to believe you are lying, and do not believe any of those things, but rather are just trying to make a point. I choose to believe you can believe what you want to believe quite happily, as long as it does not endanger yourself or others. I also choose to believe I myself determine who I believe is sane and worthy company.

Dear CoCo said: I've never been more at peace, despite my ignorance on so many levels.

Understood, Dear CoCo. It is a wonderment to admit that I do not know. That, too, feels wonderful.

Narkissos said: Doesn't "I choose to believe" (present tense) practically mean, "I choose to do as if (or as though) I believed"?

I definitely see your point, Narkissos. Believe it or not, that occurred to me just after I posted the thread. I wondered, "But if I really did BELIEVE these things, would I say I chose them?" Probably not, so your thoughts are well considered. It is almost a "saying it makes it so" condition... perhaps in saying that I am trying on the belief to see if it fits.

In truth, it is difficult to believe ANYTHING any more... to ever think that one concept or set of rules defines the universe entirely (be those rules religious or scientific or imaginary!) I have described myself as a believer in "everything and nothing". Simultaneously skeptical of everything while believing (or wanting to believe?) in all possibilities.

Thank you all for such delicious morsels of thought!

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

I guess we can't be choosing to believe and believing at the same time therefore the power that we think we have doesn't exist and on some level we understand this as our instabilty and experience the tension of trying to overcome it. However from the position of recognising this we can more powerfully deal with life. (trying out some Derrida spectacles)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit