So I've agreed to a Bible Study, how will I get thru it without wanting to die?

by lola28 41 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover
    Ok, the Bible study is to be for only 30 minutes a week and I guess we’ll be using the new book, what’s it called, something along the lines of “what does the Bible really teach”,

If you just want to appease her without really "studying" then just go along the program, nod your head and mumble, "yes, yes, I see" every so often and don't ask anything.

If you want to use this oppurtunity to present an opposing evidence and theory, have your own references and guidebooks to use.

Technically this is supposed to be a Bible study. To learn what the Bible really teaches, you have to study the actual Bible. All the other books should be used as reference guides. But JWs use the Bible as a guide to studying their book. You can counter that by introducing your own research. The problem there is that she won't recognize your research or references as valid. That invalidates the time spent as real study of the Bible.

While your intent to reconnect and befriend her is noble and gracious there is some insincerity on both sides. Your JW friend is using the situation to try to sell you on the religion. You're allowing her to attempt this in order for you to spend time with her.

If you're friends and you want to share time together, why does anything have to revolve around the Bible or JWs? Her friendship with you is conditional that you study with her. Your friendship with her is conditional as well. You're willing to play along with the charade of being interested just to gain her friendship.

Your re-connected friendship is starting off on dishonesty. Nothing long term can come of it, I'm afraid.

• serendipity
    serendipity

Hi Lola,

I agree that this is may be dangerous ground you're treading, but if you still believe in God and the Bible, maybe you can ask her if y'all can just read the Bible, maybe suggesting the portion for the Ministry school- so it's helping her to prepare for that. Just discuss what you read.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit