Urgently Trying to be Urgent - Governing Body Tactics

by V 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• V
    V

I received an email today from a viewer of watchtowercomments.com that wanted to know:

Is it just me, or is the WT whipping the JWs up over "the end" without whipping them up so to speak? I mean, more so than they usually do?

Both this person and I are still involved in meeting and attend assemblies. My response:

No, it is not just you. JWs are losing members as fast as they recruit them, include child baptisms. My opinion is that the Governing Body is desperate to get a sense of urgency, but they have no date to cling to anymore.

All growth spurts in the history of JWs and Bible Students were based on date predictions. The last was the promise that the end would come in "the 20th century."

Since 2000 passed, most JWs are just as eager to latch on to any crumb that these are the final days, turning them into a macabre group that feasts on bad news like information vampires.

The latest attempts to churn JWs into a froth are palpable but without substance. There is no more 1975, no "generation" clock ticking, and 1914 approaches it's centennial...

The 'urgency' propaganda from the Governing Body is hollow, and flat growth compared to spiking Memorial partakers, contrasted with the JW baby-boom since 2000 (that's a real measure of JWs complacency) will force JW policy to swerve back to date prediction.

Their only other option is mainstreaming. Either way we win.

Your thoughts?

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga
    V said: ...eager to latch on to any crumb that these are the final days, turning them into a macabre group that feasts on bad news like information vampires.

Right. I have not attended meetings in many years, but I see that my loved ones still in are doing and saying things that I never thought they would do or say. I am in great hopes that they are not some of those grasping at crumbs (but perhaps that hope is my own crumb to persue!)

Those who were told that Armegeddon would come before they got through elementary school are now facing retirement years with no retirement. It is little wonder their zeal has cooled.

If they quit furiously kicking that hamster wheel for long enough, they have time to look around themselves and to think...

Cheers to that.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

I've been wondering will they join the 2012 bandwagon.

Kinda like even the world is finally beginng to realize that we are on the cusp of change and they know that the scene of the world is changing.

• yknot
    yknot

I too see this in my circuit.

I dread my upcoming CA as a result.

Hurry, hurry, scurry! The end is nigh........because we said so and it must be true because we can mention 1914, 1917, 1918, and 1919 in our talks.

The meeting at the fork in the road of all three things (time marching on, legal and death/infirmed or desposing of a personality or generation) that make the WTS change will be interesting indeed.

Predicting another date would be bad for future business, mainstreaming is far more profitable.

• Mrs. Fiorini
    Mrs. Fiorini

Great comments. I agree, the GB are in a real predicament.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

They will do nothing until the growth starts to really flatline and go into negative, which is a few years away yet, some time after 2014. When that starts to happen they will pull a final date out of the bag - the already hinted at 120 years parallel between the 'last days' since 1914 and the 'last days' of Noah's system of things. 2034 is the terminus ad quiem of the Watchtower Society in it's present form.

• jakmarx
    jakmarx

I know that a lot of JW's i know are all giddy because theyve changed a lot.. especially the group book study..

EVen though only a few months ago they where talking about a need for groups so people can keep track of each other in great tribulations...

Everyday i have to remind myself how bad it was.... SO glad to be out...

• Satanus
    Satanus

'information vampires', 'urgently trying to be urgent'. These are accurate assessments. Glad i'm not on that ride, anymore.

S

• sir82
    sir82

Yup.

After decades of:

"Urgent! Armageddon is coming in 1914!"

"Urgent! Armageddon is coming in 1925!"

"Urgent! World War 2 will lead directly to Armageddon!"

"Urgent! Armageddon will is coming in 1975!"

"Urgent! Armageddon is coming within one generation of 1914, and a generation is no more than 80 years!"

Now, the message is:

"Urgent! It'd gotta be real soon now, but maybe not, but it should be right around the corner, although you might die of old age first..."

Doesn't quite have the same ring to it, does it? Folks in their 40's & above are generally too firmly entrenched to leave, but kids are seeing right through it and leaving in droves, or at least treating the org. as little more than a social club.

• TooBad TooSad
    TooBad TooSad

V,

You are so correct. The young elder who gave the public talk yesterday

said how close the end is 10 times in his talk. He was not even born in

1975 when I was an elder and gave the same talk 35 years ago. The WTBTS needs

a date, they need something beside guilt to get the numbers up. Those who stay

in are getting more cultish but that doesn't help with growth. They need more

people and more money to feed thier publishing corporation.

TooBad TooSad

PS thanks so much for your videos!!!!!!!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit