Attending college as an active JW

by CHILD 34 Replies latest jw friends

• yknot
    yknot

All of my college activity has been while being an active JW......

I lived with a JW family while attending away from home when I was a teenager/young adult.

Over half of my KH is now attending college online too.....

I have never understood the WTS assertion between going to college and losing interest in 'kingdom interests'.

So I guess my answer is I know lots of JWs attending (some graduated), none have stopped being JWs as a result.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

My wife is inactive and she is in college. Her sister is active and went to college and she got alot of grief. She continued thank God

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything

My long time friends 18yo daughter attends the local community college. She is also pioneering and working part-time. Though the long term goal is to be able to use her degree to further her spiritual goals and pioneering-she is getting a degree having something to do with sign-language.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I've gone to college on and off. I quit because of pressure from a "loving" elder and nerve problems.

My 19-year old daughter received a full scholarship and is now a junior at university.

My nephew is pursuing a master's degree in education at the same university my daughter attends.

Neither of them has been given any flak.

Down here, Black kids, especially, are encouraged to go to college by the schools and the community.

Sylvia

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Got a Bachelor's degree while in.

BTS

• Amha·’aret
    Amha·’aret

I went to college straight after finishing school. Did a 3 year course to get my diploma with a distinction.
    I really enjoyed going to college and had a good social life even though I was living at home with my jw parents all the time. I didnt get any real flack for attending. College was only really looked down on if the course was over 3 years long or if the witness-student had to live in accomodation with wordly people. If they lived with their family or a jw family, then it was pretty acceptable to go to college.Several in my cong went to college as there was in one in that town. A few witnesses from other congs came to attend but most of them left the jws in time.

That was 10 years ago and for me really played no part in getting out of the dubs. In fact in a lot of ways it was a protection as I didnt get involved in the sex/drug scene even though i enjoyed having a few drinks and going to the clubs. Ah the memories!

• Emoly
    Emoly

I went to college straight out of high school while I was still an active JW (low hour publisher) I got a lot of crap from some people, but some encouragement from within the congregation. About a year of classes (Gender Studies! Evolution!) was enough to convince me that The Truth was not the truth. I was inactive and missed lots of meetings during the start of my sophomore year...in the summer between Sophomore and Junior year I started a deliberate fade. The next summer I DA'ed myself in writing to my family. I am a senior now, and I do not know or care about my official status with the organization. The college definitely played into me leaving. Definitely.

• blondie
    blondie

There was always one or two younger jws going to the local university. As long as they made most of the meetings and turned some time in and stayed out of "trouble" no one bothered them. Especially if they auxiliary pioneered once or twice a year.

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

I went when I was an active JW.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

I got my BS as an active MS, and yes I did get flack for it. I finally stepped down, and then began fading quickly. Now im getting my masters.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit