Attending college as an active JW

by CHILD 34 Replies latest jw friends

• CHILD
    CHILD

Has anyone on this board attended college or knows anyone who attends as an active JW? How many remain in the organization after graduation? I was baptized in 1988 and was encouraged to stop college after 2 years. I returned to school in 1994. I was inactive for 2 months, returned to the organization but was never the same because of persistent doubts.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I attended college for a masters degree while I was a serving elder

• asilentone
    asilentone

I do know one that was raised in the "truth". He was a Valendictorian in High School. He got 4 year college degree. Now he is the PO. Go figure!

• CHILD
    CHILD

I was really discouraged by the "friends" from attending college. My non-JW parents were very upset with my decision to stop school after 2 years and really became upset when an elder's son attended college on a scholarship while I struggled financially. They were elated when I decided to become a nurse. While pursuing my BSN, my latent doubts resufaced and I knew I could no longer remain a JW.

stillajwexelder, did pursuing your masters degree affect how you view the organization and the JWs?

• done4good
    done4good

I attended from 1991-1994 w/bachelors degree. (took two summers full credit to finish in three years). The elders didn't say much at the time, and I started a year before the 1992 "softening" of position on college.

It probably wouldn't happen today. Glad I'm out.

j

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

stillajwexelder, did pursuing your masters degree affect how you view the organization and the JWs

It gave me hope that they were balanced at ong last - it gave me a positive view of them That is why I think they are absolutely totrally stupid for hardening theoir stance once again on college

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

I started college while I was still in, and DAd 3 weeks before graduating....

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I lost all my "privileges" because I was taking a part-time course on Saturdays. That was in 2002/

W

• wunce_wuz
    wunce_wuz

I knew two Bethelites that started college within a matter of weeks of leaving Bethel. When they graduated they were still active, but that was many years ago. No idea of current status.

• No Apologies
    No Apologies

I went to college about ten years after I graduated high school, should have done it sooner. It helped that this was after they loosened up on higher education, but I would have done it anyway. I didn't really get any flack over it, but at that point I was already starting to slide, went from a pioneering MS to irregular meeting attender.

It was a couple more years before I got out completely.

No Apologies

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit