Jacob wrestles with an angel

by LockedChaos 46 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

Yeah isn't this a crazy story, the super powerful angle that Jacob is wrestling with is having so much trouble he decides to cripple him.

All being the same I say that Jacob should've tried a Tiger Driver '91 or a Vertebreaker. Then he would've won for sure.

• sacolton
    sacolton

IP_SEC vs Ex-Gilead Missionary ... who'd win?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

All those OT guys were always questioning God and debating with him--or even wrestling. Abraham, Jacob, Moses...apparently, God doesn't mind.

Jacob was an awesome dude

BTS

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Jacob asked, "And what's your name?"

The man said, "Why do you want to know my name?" And then, right then and there, he blessed him.

No name? I don't think this was an angel.

I enjoyed reading this, Sylvia.

http://www.rustyparts.com/wp/2008/08/03/spirituality-jacobs-wrestling-match/

BTS

• sacolton
    sacolton

I'd wrestle for the last Krispy Kreme in the box.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

It certainly has inspired a lot of art, hasn't it?

BTS

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    his name was changed to Israel which means "he struggles with God".

It is possible that the name can also mean, "God Struggles." from what I read.

BTS

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

It's also possible that Jacob just got drunk that night, fell and hurt his hip, and had to make up an excuse to avoid embarrassment.

W

• sacolton
    sacolton

LOL! Good one, Finally-Free.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

The popular theme of the nightly "demon" attack (cf. Psalm 91:5f) in a desert place (the usual dwelling place of demons) is also used in the story of Moses' assault by Yahweh (Exodus 4:24ff). Here the assailant is called a man ('ish), while in another (negative) version of the story (Hosea 12:4) he is a "messenger" or "angel" (mal'akh). The Genesis story (apart from its wider integration in the monotheistic Torah) makes better sense on a polytheistic background: according to the most natural reading of the parallelism, Jacob is said to have struggled with gods and men (v. 29, 'elohim / 'anashim; similarly 'elohim can be understood as either "a god" or "gods" in v. 31). In addition to that, the story serves as an etiology for both the toponym Peniel/Penuel and the ethnical name Israel (cf. the alternative story in 35:10), which both refer to 'El as the supreme god of the Canaanite pantheon (cf. El Shadday in 35:11).

Of course all such stories where a god "naturally" interacts with humans had to be reinterpreted in the new context of monotheism, through either allegory or angelology (or Christology)...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit