Jehovah's Witnesses,Blood and South Africa

by jakes 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jakes
    jakes

The refusal by Jehovah’s Witnesses to accept life-saving blood transfusions is one issue that constantly throws the organisation into the spotlight. Blood transfusions have been banned by the Jehovah’s Witnesses, whether it be whole or fractional, since 1945. The technicalities surrounding this issue even confuse many die-hard Witnesses as this doctrine is in a constant state of flux. Many are not sure what is acceptable practice and what not.

This is how the doctrine has changed over the years.

• 1940 Blood transfusions are acceptable
    • 1945 Blood transfusion are not acceptable
    • 1956 Blood serums should be treated as blood and are banned
    • 1958 Blood serums and fractions acceptable
    • 1959 Storage of own blood unacceptable
    • 1961 Blood fractions are not acceptable
    • 1964 Blood fractions are acceptable
    • 1974 Blood serums are personal choice
    • 1975 Hemophilia treatments (Factor VII & IX) are not acceptable
    • 1978 Hemophilia treatments (Factor VII & IX) are acceptable
    • 1982 Albumin is acceptable
    • 1983 Hemodilution is acceptable
    • 1990 Hemodilution is not acceptable (From the Blood brochure)
    • 1995 Hemodilution is acceptable

Let’s not concentrate on the technicalities surrounding many of the blood fractions that are banned and those that are not. Let’s just concentrate on the logic. How many faithful JWs lost their lives during the period when blood fractions and whole blood were banned? Now it is a matter of personal conscience and certain blood fractions are permitted. However, logic goes out the window when talking to Jehovah’s Witnesses.

What kind of God allows parents to deny their dying child a lifesaving blood transfusion? The Jehovah’s Witness God does.

Last year (2008) two cases made headlines here in South Africa. In both these cases the parents refused blood transfusions for their babies. The courts eventually stepped in and ordered the transfusions to be administered. Both babies’ lives were saved.

And when that child brings them so much joy do the parents resent the child or do they secretly say in their hearts; “I’m glad the blood transfusion saved his/her life!”

Robin Jackson

This post is also posted on my blog: http://robin-losingthefaith.blogspot.com

www.lulu.com/robinjackson

www.cultsbook.bravehost.com

www.losinthefaith.bravehost.com

• musky
    musky

Interesting post. My logic tells me that in bible times,there was no medical blood transfusions. So when the bible says to abstain from blood, it does not mean for medical purposes. I feel everyone should to do what there own conscience tells them to.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Jakes:

Very interesting topic! Thank you!

N.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I must say I don't notice much about the witness these days and have to be honest didn't realise that these cases made headline news. Glad though the babies lives were saved.

Robin - do you know what papers or station ran the story - it would be great to suggest a follow up and get Deborah Pathor to ask those hard questions...

• Earnest
    Earnest

Can you provide references to the changes in doctrine to which you refer? One reference per change would be enough. Thanks.

• AgentSmith
    AgentSmith

Losing the faith is a good read.

• jakes
    jakes

Hi Louise

Here are the links to both those stories in South Africa. One was in Port Elizabeth and the other was in Pietermaritzburg.

http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/News/0,,2-7-1442_2354217,00.html

http://www.witness.co.za/index.php?showcontent&global[_id]=15737

Earnest I will post the references to those dates and the changes soon.

AgentSmith I am glad you enjoyed my book.

Robin

• happy2bfree
    happy2bfree

Great Post Robin,

Especially I like your letter “To The Elders”; you gave them no room to move. You are to be commended for your determination not let the hierarchy walk over you.

I also was impressed with the excerpt from your book, sounds very interesting, particularly your pertinent statement: “My gripe is not with the people in the organization… The doctrines that the leaders of the organization enforce on its followers that cause so much pain and family break-ups. There are many good people in the organization… They do not know of the cover-ups and the deception…” Well said!!

I too would appreciate references to the changes in blood doctrine to which you refer.

Thank you Robin.

Michael

• happy2bfree
  • rebel8
    rebel8

Some day I am going to write a book about growing up as a Hemophiliac jw in the 1960s-1980s.

As soon as I learn how to supress my gag reflex.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit