Biggest Full Moon of 2009 tonight....

by Snoozy 17 Replies latest jw friends

• llbh
    llbh

The reason for the moon appearing bigger tonight is, as i understand it , is that the moon is at a close point in it's orbit to the earth. The orbit is elliptical so therefore is appearance in size varies with the progression of its orbit.

Regards David.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

well it is a lot brighter than it usually is but I wouldn't say it is bigger

edit - okay yeah I get it now

• White Dove
    White Dove

It's still the only full moon of 2009, so far. Did they predict that this, the first, full moon would not be surpassed by any others this year? I didn't realize this was a prediction for 2009.

• johnny1980
    johnny1980

OMG ANOTHER SIGN OF THE END!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Last night about 9 a buddy and I headed into the woods on snowshoes by moonlight. No flashlights, just the moon on the snow, and 0 degrees F. This is in Vermont.

It was remarkable, and so beautiful. Tonight, the actual full moon, it looks like we'll be clouded over and snowing, so I'm glad we went out last night.

I was reminded of my teen years in the last half of the 1960s. In winter, on a Friday night after the School and Service meeting, we'd come home about 10 pm with a full moon turning the night into nearly day. I lived in a really rural area, in the mountains on an old farm, surrounded by forest and old, abandoned hillside pastures with not an inhabited house for a mile or more.

Those nights so energized me that I'd change into my winter gear and hike with my skis on my back up into the hillside pastures and ski down by the moonlight til after midnight. Christ, it would be -20F, just so outrageously cold, and no one out there with me. I never thought of it as dangerous, just that I felt amazingly alive and connected with where I lived. The biggest danger, besides freezing to death, was that the snow would be a few feet deep, but leave the old barbwire fences just sticking a few inches above the snowline. If you caught your skis under those, it was a very nasty fall, for sure!

God, it's good to be alive in a place so connected with the wild world that surrounds it.

S4

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

It is midnight here, so I went out to look at the moon. It is almost directly overhead. The sky even has a faint blue tinge. It would be very easy to see around the neighborhood even if there weren't so many street lights. I just love the tropics.

Dave

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

We missed the best part. It was a bit cloudy and we had had a busy day delivering our son to the airport so we didn't bother to have dinner on the beach to watch it rise.

As it turned out, the clouds disappeared at about the time it would have appeared on the horizon and it would have made a romantic finish to our day. Bummer.

Never mind. I am sure we will have many more chances.

Cheers

Chris

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

Its still out for those that missed it. Its really bright and I can tell that its closer. Absolutely beautiful.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit