Why are Arkansas men

by John Doe 88 Replies latest jw friends

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

la la la la te da

• primitivegenius
    primitivegenius

i helped build a kingdom hell in mountain home arkansas..... what a fracking waste of time............. oh well.

(holds up eric estrada poster) COME GET YOU SOME ARKANSAS REAL ESTATE!!!!

• TMS
    TMS

It's easy to underestimate Arkansans. I grew up near Seattle but spent thirty years in Arkansas. Many Arkies are genteel, civil, articulate . . . . with an accent. Think Billy Bob Thornton, an Arkansan. It's not a culture where one shouts out their accomplishments as many know-it-all-Yankees are known to do. I don't say that as a regional slur, just an observation about the differences.

Although Bubba is the cliched symbol of the Arkansas man, that excludes many strong black men who have shrugged off the shackles of their environment and made something of themselves. They are Arkansans, too.

Of course, all of this talk is so silly. The city-states still control the culture. Little Rock is in the Dallas orbit. Fort Smith is in the Tulsa orbit. Eastern Arkansas is in the Memphis orbit.

tms

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Speaking of Billy Bob Thornton, a friend of mine is in a band, He is the drummer Kenny, used to get my car ins from him!!!

Mike Shipp and the Fireaters

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=183744775

Anyway Thornton is backing this band up. Well already has, Look for them soon with a new cd.

I think they all are from Arkansas.

I am chatting with Kenny now and he says they are doing an HBO special for Ocotober with all the guests on the new CD.

Dusty Hill, Slash, Pat Travers, lol, he is telling me now, teddy andredias, steve bruton, brad davis, les dudek

and you heard it here first!!!

purps

edited to add: good to see you TMS

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

When we used to go to Mountain Home blacks were encouraged to drive straight thru..the last year we were there it seemed to be changing..I believe they actually let some stay..(1960's).

The lake (Norfork Lake) sure was beautiful though...we used to scuba dive in it. It was clear as crystal then..and those guys from Arkansas knew where all the big ones were!

Snoozy..who misses Rocking Chair Ranch...

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

This is where we stayed in a cabin at Rocking Chair Ranch in Mountain Home Arkansas..

http://www.norfork.com/rockingchair/grounds.htm

And this was a good spot to scuba dive and fish or just plain jump and swim..

And this is where we went to rough it in a tent in Mountain Home Arkansas

• Satanus
    Satanus

Billy bob thornton is arkansan? Funny, he doesn't LOOK arkansan;)

S

• TMS
    TMS

Billy bob thornton is arkansan? Funny, he doesn't LOOK arkansan;)

S

Not sure what that means, Satanas. But if you can't wrap yourself around Billy Bob's Arkansas heritage think of Fred Graham, the softspoken legal commentator. He's typical of many articulate, unassuming Arkies I've met. Not as charismatic as Johnny Cash, Charlie Rich or Glen Campbell or as driven as the Waltons, Dillards or Tysons, but not to be overlooked. Every state has its own list and Arkansas as a very small state population-wise is not underrepresented.

In political circles most young people think of Bill Clinton, but he is much the political lightweight in Arkansas political history. Senator J.William Fullbright(yes, the Fullbright Scholarship originator), took courageous stands on several issues. He was the ONLY U.S. Senator to vote against Joseph McCarthy's roughshod anti-Communist vendetta in the 50's. Fullbright was also one of only 2 senators to vote against the Gulf of Tonkin resolution escalating the Vietnam War. Its not well known outside the state, but most Arkansans considered Senator Dale Bumpers much more presidential than Clinton ever was. Bumpers was willing to serve but not willing to go through the garbage to be elected. You may recall that during Clinton's impeachment woes, Bumpers although retired, asked to address the full senate. He was greeted with a standing ovation, such was their respect for the man. He argued eloquently, not in defense of Clinton, but for the preservation of the presidency and was a key figure in averting impeachment.

tms

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

The first woman elected to the Senate was Hattie Wyatt Caraway of Arkansas. Appointed to fill the vacancy caused by the death of her husband, U.S. Senator Thaddeus Caraway, Ms. Caraway then sought and won election on her own in 1932. She was reelected in 1938 and served until 1945.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit