JWs and pirate DVDs

by outofthebox 17 Replies latest jw friends

• outofthebox
    outofthebox

It is just me or almost every witness you know has some pirate DVD movies and CDs? I was visiting a pioneer today and she has several ripped DVDs. Stealing is not a sin anymore, or am I being too judgmental?

• blondie
    blondie

Their thinking:

1) It's only wrong if you get caught

2) Everyone is doing it

• outofthebox
    outofthebox

My theory is that since the Watchtower (their common conscience) says nothing about it, they can do it, until something different is told in by the holy bunch of Brooklyn.

• yknot
    yknot

Ummmmmmm

Calling it 'file sharing' is so much nicer......

• musky
    musky

You mean you can't own any movies like "Pirates of the Carribean"? That sister should just get the DVD's fixed if they are ripped. That should not be a sin. We are all imperfect.................Kidding

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I took some elders to task for software piracy back in the '90s. Their excuse was that Bill Gates had enough money already.

• loosie
    loosie

Ok how many people have ripped dvd's that aren't JW's? I think it is just common in all groups not just JW's.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Loosie, you're right, they're no different from others in that respect, and that's the problem. The JWs are the ones who publicly boast about their "honesty" and "being faithful in what is least". They are no more honest than anyone else. Their boasts about their "honesty" are lies, like everything else they say.

• StAnn
    StAnn

My sister used to babysit. She made the parents pay her half of the money in cash and the other half by check. She told them that, if she had to claim all of the money with the IRS, the taxes would be so high that she'd have to charge them a higher rate, so they went along with it. She also told them that she would not be celebrating birthdays or Christmas in her daycare because she was a JW.

Her husband used to send all of his mail through his company's mailroom. He shipped stuff to his daughter who lived out-of-state all of the time at his company's expense. When I questions it, he said, "Well, everybody else does it." And he considers himself a devout JW.

If stealing, which is against the 10 Commandments which are directly written in the Bible, is okay because everybody else does it, why is it that smoking, which is never directly addressed in the Bible, can get you disfellowshipped, even though lots and lots of people do it?

StAnn

• sacolton
    sacolton

Most of them have absolutely no problem downloading mp3s. Must be hard living a double-life as a JW. Squeaky clean image in the congregation and quick to judge others, but in private they do what everyone does.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit