If you won the lottery whilst being a JW.....

by mtsgrad 19 Replies latest jw friends

• mtsgrad
    mtsgrad

what impact would that have on your life? An elder told me he would be VERY repentant and then spend every penny/cent?

What would you do if you won $9,000,000?

mtsgrad

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I would have taken that money, got as far away from the JW's I could, and then started enjoying life and doing the things that I wanted to do, without the pressure of making enough money.

• asilentone
    asilentone

If I win 9 million dollars, I will do some very serious shopping online and buy a huge single level house with no neighbors around, but not far from the city.

• tan
    tan

I remember an elder won a small amount from the lottery many years ago. He was privately reproved. Used the money to build a music studio for his daughter because she could sing really well.

I would enjoy my winnings and say to hell with them.

• loosie
    loosie

Well I had a good example set by my mother. My dad who was never a JW won money at las vegas on his yearly trips. mom had no trouble spending money won in sin city. Afterall why argue with the head of the house as to where he gets the money.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Well, if I won 9 million today, I would quit my job and immediately move back to Kentucky, but that ain't gonna happen, so I guess I am stuck here for a little while longer.

• Mary
    Mary

First of all, I'd get my never-baptized sister to go collect the $$$ so I wouldn't have to deal with a visit from the elders.

I'd give some to my family and close friends and then I'd get the hell out of here to somewhere where I'd never see frigging snow again....like Hawaii.

• John Doe
    John Doe

A lottery win wouldn't change my life in a major way. I'd keep my job, stay in school, and look for some sound investments to make.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

When I went to bethel and they were explaing the 'simple vow of poverty' that all bethelites take, they used an example of winning the lottery. They said how the catholics have their priest take a strict vow of poverty and if a catholic preist were to win the lottery the proceeds would go to the church. He than explained with the simple vow of poverty if you were to win the lottery as a bethelite you could keep the winnings...but would not be able to stay at bethel. He didn't say anything about DFing just that you would not be staying at bethel.

• yknot
    yknot

Give half to local charity.....(taxes remember)

Then I would 'hide' the sin..... if found out..... I would buy myself out of being reproved or DFd.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit