Has your Relationship with your Parents Improved or Regressed as you Aged ?

by flipper 29 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

I guess this time of year with the holidays my thoughts gravitate to family and for me it's usually a time of reflection on how my relationships have been going with my family . Thinking about what I want to accomplish or avoid in the coming year regarding family relationships. Thus I thought of this question in my thread as a way of reflection on my life ; and thought it might help some of you reflect as well.

So in answer to my own question : I feel that my relationship has somewhat improved with my father over the years , not a lot , but with my own aging - I understand him more. He is 83 , was always a stoic elder , not too conversational ( unlike myself ) , like some of our fathers , I always knew he loved me - but he has never told me. I stopped trying to please him by my late 30's as I knew my goals were different ( didn't want to become an elder ) . He had trouble being emotionally affectionate because his dad left him as an alcoholic when my dad was 12 years old . And I came to understand why he is the way he is. So what I've got with him in a relationship is about where it's going to be - I accept it and value it for what it is. We have a quiet respect for each other , but it's not real expressive. He knows I love him too - I tell him occasionally , but it's hard when you know they won't say it back. But he knows I care.

My mother is a different story. She is 81 , always the conversationalist - I turned to her as a teenager because she really listened to me. She would help me analyze things , dissect situations to death, and help me form opinions on life with a sense of humor which kept me sane , civil, and very much grounded in dealing with the various challenges I would face in life. She has always freely said she loves me , and any person who has dealt with her knows she is an engaging personality and honest in that you always know where you stand with her. In simple english - you can read this woman , she never has been one who plays mind games with anybody. Never leaves you hanging wondering where you stand. A joy to be around. And as you can guess - my relationship with her has only grown better like fine wine . Outside of my wife and son, I consider her one of my best friends also.

Both of my parents respect my 5 year fade from the witnesses - and never question me why I left. They know my reasons and leave it alone. So I'm interested in hearing about you folks ! How have things gone in your life with your parents ? As you have aged - do you understand them more ? Do they understand YOU more ? Have the relationships improved or regressed over the years ? As always I look forward to hearing your interesting experiences ! Take care. Peace out to all of you , and have a very happy new year ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

improved especially as they know I am no longer in the power ofd JWs - they have of course not told my wife they know.

• treadnh2o
    treadnh2o

Definitely Improved.

Having kids helps.

Telling them their religion is BS doesn't.

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

I had a great relationship with my mom as long as I was a good little JW soldier and I was. However if I ever mentioned anything that I was even a bit disgruntled about within the organization, I got the cold shoulder until I shut up, put a smile on and looked pretty at that meeting. Our relationship has been a little distant for a few years and more distant since May when I quit all together. JW's just really tears up families, they consider all the people at the hall to be closer to them than me because they are JW's. But I know it is lonely for her because it's not the same as your real family. She is just really disappointed in us. Same with my in laws, they told my husband that it's just a matter of "headship" and if he could control his wife we would be a nice little JW couple again plain and simple. I have wondered for years what could our relationships have been if not for the organization. By the way I have not seen my father since I was a child because he is DF'ed. So I guess I go in the regressed column. I am forever hopeful!

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

My father died suddenly when I was 21. We had many unresolved issues probably the biggest one being my question " What the hell ever made you join this religion and dedicate 25 years of your life to it?"

My mother just died in May. She always refused to talk about her long history as a JW. I think that our inability to ever resolve the questions that I had about it and her never forgiving me for rebelling and leaving the religion at 15 was always a barrier to us being close. Her relatives are the side of the family that were all JWs. So my rebellion caused a storm within our immediate family as well as her relationship with all her siblings and mother.

So there you have it.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

My relationships with both of my parents improved when I aged. My father was an abusive alcoholic when I was a kid. My mom could be abusive and manipulative too. She joined the JW cult but my dad never did. When I grew older I reached the point where I could understand their behaviour without condoning or excusing it. My dad and I were actually great friends for the last 15 years of his life, and my relationship with my JW mom, interestingly enough, got better after I DA'd.

• yknot
    yknot

To mine I am four.....

This way they both remain 25.....

They have no desire for this arrangement to change.....

This is about them, it is not about me....

Yknot...... sighs good grief at the length some babyboomers will go to remain 'forever young'.....even if it is only in their minds!

• MrsFlipperpcout
    MrsFlipperpcout

STILLAJWEXELDER- I'm glad your parents get along good with you. So I assume your parents are not witnesses - they just work with you to keep it from your wife that you really don't believe in it. That's cool.

TREADNH20- Glad you get along. Having kids helps But you are right gotta keep the peace about the witness thing .

NO MORE KOOL AID- I've often felt like you that my family would have been a lot closer had the witnesses never converted my parents in the 1950's ! I'm sorry the witnesses caused a split in your family . It is tough for sure.

SCARRED for LIFE- I hear what you are saying. Some families just can't let go of the witness thing. They allow it to interfere with authentic and real family dealings. I have 2 witness daughters like that. It's too bad your parent's couldn't have just mellowed out before they died and have been authentic with you- just for a short time. I'm so sorry.

FINALLY FREE- Like you I came to understand my parents behavior better as I got older. I'm glad your relationship improved with age. Maybe our parents begin to understand all the adversity we have been through better - I don't know.

YKNOT- I'm sorry your parents treat you like a child. It sounds like your parents want to stay young not just physically, but emotionally as well. You are right - some people never grow up or mature. Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• minimus
    minimus

I was always close to my mother. Even though I've left the "Truth", she is still 100% there for me.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

STILLAJWEXELDER- I'm glad your parents get along good with you. So I assume your parents are not witnesses - they just work with you to keep it from your wife that you really don't believe in it. That's cool.

EXACTLY

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit