What Makes a Person "Worldly"?

by cameo-d 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Apparently facial hair on a man, if you go by the JW definition. *eye roll*

• Cheetos
    Cheetos

Simple, the moment you use your god given power of reason and think for yourself (running ahead of the GB), basicly not doing what the body of Jim Jones's and the waters of Cool Aid from New York telll you to do.

• Reefton Jack
    Reefton Jack

A flexible term, this one!
    In most instances, it is used pretty much as a general JW swear word.

Jack.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Yes, It's a classic JW ad hominem attack on a persons character.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Thank you all for answers.

jack...swear word? That's funny!

Even if a person had all the qualities of Christ but were not baptized by jws/wts and following their rules, they would be considered "worldly."

So the only way to know if a person is worldly is you have to ask if they are JW?

Is there no observable criteria to determine in a crowd or among strangers any discernment of who is worldly?

• beksbks
    beksbks
    Is there no observable criteria to determine in a crowd or among strangers any discernment of who is worldly?

Most of them are so insidiously evil, they try to look like regular people. You must be on guard at all times.

• yknot
    yknot

Good question......

Oddly enough whenever I visit another area.... I always run into JWs and I seem to know they are JWs before we broach the subject. I think often times it is their manner of dress and behavior.

• gymbob
    gymbob

I was once told by an elder that "Worldly" is a witness slang term referring to someone who is not a witness....a term we do NOT use in front of them, because they are potential witnesses and we don't want to offend anyone.

• yknot
    yknot
    "Worldly" is a witness slang term referring to someone who is not a witness..term we do NOT use in front of them, because they are potential witnesses and we don't want to offend anyone.

Your so right!

While I was never counseled to openly refer to a worldly as worldly.....

It is always used as a derogatory label.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

A worldly person, in the non-derogatory sense, is a person that lives in the real world. Such a person is apt to try and make the world, or at least their corner of it, a better place. Examples are the ones that organize office parties and outings, those taking the lead in charity drives and cleanups, and that contribute to the morale of the community. They usually end up having all the fun, and they contribute to the fun of others.

In the witless sense, a worldly person is someone that has not yet been baptized as a witless and is not regularly going to boasting sessions or studying to become a witless. A person ceases to be a worldly person after they begin studying, but can go back to being "worldly" if they stop short of baptism. After baptism, such a person would be recognized as disfellowshipped or disassociated, or even apostate.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit