Sad, Sad, Sad, and God damn!

by belbab 16 Replies latest social current

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty
    Sharia law demands the amputation of a hand for stealing,

Thats true the boy is lucky they didn't amputate his hand off,

Isn't swell when men relive and try to reinsert ancient laws on social behavior established thousands of years ago, I know of another religion that tries to do so as well

this religion is called the JWS.

• poppers
    poppers

Good point, LDH.

• blondie
  • IWillBeDubbedNoMore
    IWillBeDubbedNoMore

Absolutely Horrendous

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

We have all heard of rumors that some Muslims, perhaps in the obscure corners of the Islamic world, practice extreme punishments, such as chopping off the hands of thieves. Is this rumor or fact? Where does this gruesome practice come from, originally?

Sad to report, the policy of chopping off the hands of thieves comes directly from the Quran itself, in Sura or Chapter 5:38. As we will see, Muhammad incorporated a seventh-century Arab pagan custom into his Quran, claiming that God revealed to him that Islam, the perfected religion for all humankind, should uphold this atrocity.

To show how "divinely endorsed" mutilation is prescribed in the Quran, a specific method of exegesis (detailed analysis of a text) is followed. First, various translations of Sura 5:38 are cited to set the table for further analysis and to prevent confusion over the wording circulating around the worldwide web. Second, the historical and literary contexts are explained so that the most accurate interpretation can be obtained. This step is also intended to prevent the reflexive, standard "out of context" defense from Muslim apologists. Third, we explore how the earliest Muslims interpreted the verse in the hadith (Muhammad’s words and deeds outside of the Quran), which sheds light on Muhammad’s practice. Fourth, influential modern Muslim translators and commentators speak for their own sacred book, but then we critique their views. Fifth, we can get some insight into early Islam by contrasting the Quran with the Bible. Finally, we apply our findings to today’s world.

As to the fifth step in our method, it may be stated here that for Bible-educated Christians, this barbarity is completely unacceptable, especially when it comes six hundred years after Jesus Christ showed us the better way and demonstrated the love of God.

Translations of Sura 5:38

MAS Abdel Haleem (The Qur’an, Oxford UP, 2004) translates Sura 5:38 as follows:

5:38 Cut off the hands of thieves, whether they are male or female, as punishment for what they have done—a deterrent from God: God is almighty and wise. 39 But if anyone repents after his wrongdoing and makes amends, God will accept his repentance: God is most forgiving and merciful. (Haleem)

• belbab
    belbab

My curses have returned on my own head. I am sorry I passed this on from a person who sent me a big HAPPY NEW YEAR. I do not want to be part of fomenting and enflaming hatred in the world.

Thanks all for dowsing the flames of hatred that seeks to devour the world.

belbab, hound doggy and sorry assed

• restrangled
    restrangled

I don't doubt that its real. So many different disgusting practices go on around the world. The pressing of breasts of small girls with hot wooden pokers for hours over many months, the practice of circumcising girls, the cutting off of hands, women being killed for ruining the honor of the males in the family, and political justification for torture.

The world is a very ugly place when anyone gets too much power, be it political or based on religion.

r.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit