Glen Howe died

by wannaexit 25 Replies latest jw friends

• wannaexit
  • blondie
    blondie

I wonder who supplied the bio?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20081231/OBHOW31/TPObituaries/?query=religion

GLEN HOW 89

HE WON LANDMARK CASES AT THE SUPREME COURT

SANDRA MARTIN

December 31, 2008

Toronto -- A criminal lawyer and a Jehovah's Witness, Glen How successfully argued landmark cases at the Supreme Court of Canada defending civil and religious liberties.

Between 1946 and 1953, Jehovah's Witnesses were involved in more than 1,500 criminal prosecutions ranging from disturbing the peace to sedition in Quebec, where Roman Catholic premier Maurice Duplessis had declared "a war without mercy against the Witnesses of Jehovah." Thirty years before the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, Mr. How was the lawyer who challenged many of these charges on the grounds that they violated basic rights to freedom of speech, religion and association.

Mr. How was educated at the University of Toronto and Osgoode Hall. He became a Jehovah's Witness in 1941, two years before he was called to the bar in Ontario and began his long practice as general counsel of the Jehovah's Witnesses.

Glen How was born March 25, 1919, in Montreal. He died Dec. 30, 2008, of pneumonia in Georgetown, Ont. He was 89, and suffered from prostate cancer. A full obituary is forthcoming

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

May he rest in peace -was he annointed?

• blondie
    blondie

Wasn't he the one that headed the shutting down of the Quotes website?

• mouthy
    mouthy

Poor old Glen.... I rememeber him well. my last memory was when he threw my card in my face ..I was at Vicky's trail , I told him to only speak truth on the stand ,he sort of give me a warm hand shake & said " Yes I am not d/f YET!!!! " So I gave him my card..( support group for EX JW)..The next day he walked into the court with all his JWS trailing & threw it in my face..... LOL

Rest in peace Glen I forgave you a long time ago. If I have the right LORD....I think he may forgive you also in your ignorance ........

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

If Gordy Howe died I'd be sad.

There is a special place in hell for WT lawyers.

Hill

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

Right now I'm reading the summary of The Law Society and Frank Mott Trille where Mott Trille's daughter, Sarah, testified that Glenn How knowingly gave testimony in the case that "is not true".

Prior to this time Sarah Mott Trille had work at Bethel as a lawyer with Glenn How and Associates. As you can imagine, Mr. How was not happy with Sarah's testimony before The Law Society.

Glenn How was a lot of things, but integrity to stand up for what is true no matter what was not one of them. He towed the Watchtower party line, whatever that called for. He was a hired man. No less and no more.

Marvin Shilmer

• delilah
    delilah

Rest in peace Glen I forgave you a long time ago. If I have the right LORD....I think he may forgive you also in your ignorance ........

You're a good woman Grace....

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Well I still remember How adjusting his hearing aid at the Boer trial and Her Honour was about ready to lose it on him. Oh my that was funny.

His claim to fame to most in the media will be the article 2 for freedom of religion wins in front of the Supremes. Of course none in the media ever asked him why his own organiziation would not give the same freedoms and rights to its members as Canada gives to its citizens.

To me his claim to fame will be how his team would try to cover for abusers such as the Mike Moss case reported by the Fifth Estate up in the Sault Ste. Marie.

Unfortunately there are still many in Georgetown that have taken his place.

• Quotes
    Quotes

Blondie, your memory is good, but let me clarify the parties involved in my case and the timeline (in case anyone is interested).

Before I state the facts, I would note that "Glen Howe & Associates" office is located entirely within the grounds of the WTS Canada (2nd floor above the Kingdom Hall, to be specific, IIRC). There is no doubt that this case was handled intimately by How & Associates, even after the case file had been given to Bereskin & Parr. However, the exact extent of Glen How's involvement is not known from the documents available to me; his signature is not on any paperwork I have. Rather, Shane Brady's name is on the C&D.

The initial Cease & Desist letter
    Received January 11, 2005
    Letterhead: W. Glen How & Associates
    Signed by: Shane H. Brady

Service of notification of action and statement of claim
    Issued Sept 2, 2005
    Served to me: Sept 8, 2005
    Firm acting for the plaintiffs: Bereskin & Parr (a top Toronto IP law firm, but no known relation to WTS)
    Bereskin & Parr lawyer working this case for Watchtower: Jonathan Colombo

Execution of Settlement Agreement Signed, for the WTS Canada, by Kenneth A. Little, President (WTS Canada)
    Signed, for the WTS of Pennsylvania, by Kenneth A. Little, ("on behalf of Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania")

Back to the topic of this thread: Glen, you showed that a tenacious lawyer, placed in a situation that allows him to focus all his efforts on a dimly lit corner of case law, and given free rein, and material support, to doggedly pursue an agenda without the usual burdens of earning a living and supporting a family, can illuminate that case law for the benefit of your masters. And if that work accidentally helped anyone other than your masters, so be it.

You also showed the highest example of mental compartmentalization syndrome, by working as a lawyer (applied logician) for the WTS (where logical fallacies are the norm).

But you also helped my mother find a job when she first arrived in Canada, and for that I thank you. May you rest in peace.

~Q

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit