Life and death in the backyard

by Nathan Natas 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Patio, I couldn't say I disagree with you at all.

Ninja, you are quick as whip and just as snappy! What a visual!

• snowbird
    snowbird

Oh, this one:

AlanWatts (1915-1973) was one of the most widely read and listened to philosophers of the 20th century, and is best known as an interpreter of Zen Buddhism.

I don't have any answers, Nathan, but in light of the Apostle Paul's assurance in Romans 8 that the creation is to be set free from enslavement to corruption, and the Angel's statement in Revelation 22 that the curse is no more, I wonder what really happened in the beginning?

Also, there are examples of animals, that are usually antagonistic, raising and caring for the others' offspring. What's up with that?

These are all rhetorical questions. I have no desire to get into a lengthy theological/metaphysical argument.

Hi, Ninja, and thanks for your input.

Sylvia

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

I love every post in this thread. Thanks, all.

Haven't read any Alan Watts but have had the intention for years!

The Mark Twain's "Letters From Earth" is not to be missed. As a bit of awesome trivia, that book was considered to be so contraversial (read: Blasphemous) that he requested it be published after his family's lifetime.

And so it was.

I think I'll make some bird pudding, Nathan. Got a recipe?

• startingover
    startingover

Has anyone else noticed how animals seem to accept that fact that they are going to die? Watching a cat get a bird it seems the birds resigns itself to the reality fairly quickly. Or the squirrel in the road, he suddenly becomes a meal for the other squirrels.

One thing I am certain of, no amount of wishful thinking is going to change the reality we see around us.

• Gregor
    Gregor

In the winter I make a bird puddin' out of: 2 parts lard to 1 part cheap p-nut butter. Put it on the range, low until it gets soft. Then I mix in whatever, last week I found some course ground cornmeal in the pantry that we don't like, in it went. Or stale sunflower seeds, or pet kibble crushed up, etc...

There was a neighbor cat that likes to set under the feeder and pick off birds. Once I came on the cat slowly strolling across the backyard with a mouthful of feathers still weakly going.."..cheep...cheep..cheep..." That really bothered me. I have since cat-proofed my feeders.

From my kitchen I once thought I saw a barrel chested tit sucker at the feeder but it turned out it was just my reflection. ta da

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Gregor said, "...barrel chested tit sucker"

HA!!!!! Yer killin' me

• Satanus
    Satanus

NN

'I'm almost out of frankincense'

Substitute any kind of regular incense.

Snow

'the whole creation is going to be set free from whatever it is that moves us to kill each other.'

Yah, when it doesn't have the impetus to incarnate, anymore. Until then...

'there are examples of animals, that are usually antagonistic, raising and caring for the others' offspring. What's up with that?'

Because of trickery or mistakes. Most animals, even predatory ones, have an instinct to care/protect their offspring, at least for a little while. Also, sometimes, in peculiar circumstances, this drive is redirected. Sometimes, the natural predatory/survival instincts are subverted, as when young ones of different species are raised together, like in the bambi cartoons. Also, humans can subvert and trick the natural instincts of animals, when they raise them in captivity.

As well, in the animal/spirit proportion, let's say, for the sake of discussion, that some lower animals are 10% spirit and 90% animal. Their spiritual part is, at times, evoked. Let's say that human's are perhaps, 90% spirit and 10% animal, for the sake of this discussion. Just some thoughts.

S

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Because of trickery or mistakes.

Hmmm ... The examples I've read about (not seen, mind you), the animal actively sought out the orphaned offspring.

But, I agree with you, these are just some thoughts.

Thanks.

Sylvia

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Bird pudding is kind of an extemporaneous act, based largely on what you have available at the time. It's a great way to clean out the pantry! There is no bad bird pudding, unless you burn it by inattention.

I usually begin with a large pot half-filled with water, which I bring to a boil.

When the water is boiling I'll drop in a stick of margarine and a couple cups of cheap peanut butter. I like the type that is peanuts and salt with no sugar or molasses in it. I let this mixture brew for a while until it all melts.

Once the margarine and peanut butter are liquefied, I add a couple - or several - cups of wild bird mix to the brew. Cooking the birdseed assures that it won't sprout and fill your yard with wild millet and wild sunflowers. I also softens the grain, which the birds never complain about. Then I throw in some peanuts, in the shell. Crows like to play with their food and enjoy opening peanuts. Sometimes if I have old rice or leftover rice, I add it now also.

I let this cook for a couple of minutes, and then I add enough cheap oatmeal to make it really thick. Once it is good and thick I stir in a couple cups of cheap rice krispies type cereal, or any old cereal I have around.

Let the pudding cool a bit - it will thicken up some more - and set it out. I use the disposable cheap aluminum roaster pans for this. The pans are pretty much filled with the pudding. I suppose you could also use an old roasting pan that you were willing to dedicate to this project, or you could just plop the puddin on the ground; birds won't mind.

I've recently experimented with offering the birds cooked dry beans - I had some that were past their freshness date by a couple of years, so I cooked them up, drained them and set them out. My critters were all over the beans. I'm not sure if it is because they really like them or because they've been conditioned to uncomplainingly accept their free lunch, but the beans were all gone in a few hours.

This gives you a couple gallons of pudding. one of the things I like about crows is their strong community structure. One crow will find the food and call the entire clan over for dinner. I suspect this gives the finder increased status in the community, kind of like Ted Kennedy. Once the crows arrive, starlings, sparrows, pigeons and yes, seagulls will arrive. Huge, duck-footed seagulls gobbling down their free lunch, wondering if it might not be too much for me to include some squid in the next batch of pudding.

• Atpeaceatlast
    Atpeaceatlast

Seven years ago when I lived in Central Florida, I saw a large hawk swooped down and snag a small squirrel and took to flight with the squirrel going for the ride - his last one. For a second before, I thought it was my kitten, Sarah (today, she's one fat cat). It was both a startling and a fascinating experience to see nature in action.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit