Arrogance

by John Doe 28 Replies latest jw friends

• John Doe
    John Doe
    assertiveness///empathy///active engagement

Yes, but often these words are often only used on actions that don't oppose what we're personally doing, no?

• snowbird
    snowbird
    As long as the viewpoint is healthy, yes.
    So, if the viewpoint is not healthy or is harmful, then it is not arrogant nor intolerant to oppose it?

If you perceive that a viewpoint is harmful, then it is neither arrogant nor intolerant to oppose it, but I would advise you to proceed with all due caution.

Some sage once said that discretion is the better part of valor.

Sylvia

• Gregor
    Gregor

I will not tolerate intolerance.

I would like to be arrogant but I don't have enough money.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    assertiveness///empathy///active engagement
    Yes, but often these words are often only used on actions that don't oppose what we're personally doing, no?

I try to practice these in all my dealings, whether there is opposition or not.

Nay, even more so if there is opposition, because emotions have a tendency to run wild during stressful situations.

Sylvia

• John Doe
    John Doe

Empathy means to understand another's state of mind or emotions. Being assertive means to take an active part in furthering your notions and ideas. Active engagement is a close synonym. Now, what do you say to people who say you are being arrogant and intolerant if you are in fact being assertive, empathetic, and actively engaging?

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

In my opinion it is not very important if your are arrogant or intolerant, the only damage your are doing is to yourself. The only time intolerance in my opinion can be a negative is when it is from some one with power .

The definition of these words might differ from one person to the other, I received these two adjectives at least once or maybe twice, it all depends on the opinion of the other person. I am intolerant towards voluntary ignorance, bigotry, religion..., the list is long. Can you call me intolerant? Maybe.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Since the burden of proof rests with the accuser, I would politely and respectfully request that said accuser point out the ways in which I'm being arrogant or intolerant.

I would listen carefully, and if the accusation has merit, I would diligently apply myself to making amends.

How's that?

Sylvia

• John Doe
    John Doe
    I would listen carefully, and if the accusation has merit, I would diligently apply myself to making amends.

And if the accusation had no merit?

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Pffffff

(That's my Arrogant sound)

• snowbird
    snowbird

I would tell the accuser to go to Purgatory.

Of course, this is entirely hypothetical since I've never been accused of being apathetic, arrogant, intolerant, passive aggressive, or spineless.

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit