Diary of Anne Frank a Fraud?

by sammielee24 19 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

I believed the diary of Anne Frank was absolutely real - until I read this. Geesh...sammieswife.

Meyer Levin died in 1981

Levin rewrote the various post-war treatments of the Anne Frank diary with an eye toward a Broadway production, but Otto decided to cut him out, refusing to honor his contract or pay him for his work. Meyer Levin sued Otto Frank for his writings, and the New York Supreme court awarded Meyer Levin $50,000, for his 'intellectual work'.

In 1980, Otto sued two Germans, Ernst Romer and Edgar Geiss, for distributing literature denouncing the diary as a forgery. The trial produced a study by official German handwriting experts that determined everything in the diary was written by the same person. The person that wrote the diaries had used a ballpoint pen throughout. Unfortunately for Herr Frank, the ballpoint pen was not available until 1951 whereas Anne was known to have died of typhus in 1944.

Because of the lawsuit in a German court, theGerman state forensic bureau, the Bundes Kriminal Amt [BKA]forensically examined the manuscript, which at that point in time consisted of three hardbound notebooks and 324 loose pages bound in a fourth notebook, with special forensic equipment.

The results of tests, performed at the BKA laboratories, showed that “significant” portions of the work, especially the fourth volume, were written with a ballpoint pen. Since ballpoint pens were not available before 1951, the BKA concluded those sections must have been added subsequently.

In the end, BKA clearly determined that none of the diary handwriting matched known examples of Anne's handwriting. The German magazine, Der Spiegel, published an account of this report alleging that (a) some editing postdated 1951; (b) an earlier expert had held that all the writing in the journal was by the same hand; and thus (c) the entire diary was a postwar fake.

The BKA information, at the urgent request of the Jewish community, was redacted at the time but later inadvertently released to researchers in the United States.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

So are they asserting that all or only parts of the diary are fakes?

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

I've heard about that, but it was from a neo nazi type so I didn't pay much heed. Later I'd read about it myself and I admit my own doubts about the authenticity of the diary now.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

They are basically asserting that the whole thing was a rewrite ...she may have kept some pages but it was not the diary that we all bought and believed. I was skeptical at first but after reading more and more and following the trail, I think it has been confirmed a fake. Anne did exist but the story as we believed it appears to have been rewritten most likely twice...and people have made a lot of money of presenting it as fact. sammieswife.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I've never read it or even seen a movie about it all the way through. It was just too sad for me. Maybe it was just as well I never read it.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

I read it as a very young teenager and it had a profound impact on me. It is a book that was and I think still is, very much advised as reading for young people that provides insight and compansionship/compassion for a girl that would be the same age as the reader. It can invoke a standard or measure of rage and disgust at that age that one clearly does not always appreciate that is manufactured. A pretty thorough breakdown of the manuscript was done...long and lengthy but one of the more interesting ones that I had read. sammieswife

http://www.solargeneral.com/library/AnneFrankFraud.pdf

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

That pdf was from the "Institute for Historical Review":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institute_for_Historical_Review

On the ballpoint allegations, see this reponse:

http://www.annefrank.org/content.asp?PID=794&LID=2

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Thank you, Leo. Very good links.

• avishai
    avishai

It's not a fraud, and even if it was, for Eff's sake, like people all over did'nt go through the same shit? if it was a fraud, did it help her, her sister, and half the people in the book stay alive? Nope? Still dead? Gee, why?

• avishai
    avishai

Don't watch these..parts one thru 9. Just don't Seriously
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z6Uolqm6gI&feature=related

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit