I've always wondered something about the Memorial

by heybaby 12 Replies latest jw experiences

• heybaby
    heybaby

I wondered this even when I was a gung-ho JW:

Where in the Bible do JWs find the format for how the Memorial should be celebrated by the "other sheep?" I just don't see anywhere in the Bible where it says that those not partaking should pass bread and wine. And for that matter, I don't see anywhere in the Bible where it mentions any of Jesus' followers NOT partaking. So it's either one of two things:

1.) Either the "other sheep" shouldn't even be there

or

2.) ALL Christians should partake

Am I correct on this?

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, the "great crowd" wasn't "identified" until 1935 and not invited to the "memorial" until 1938..............so for at least 2 years, 1936, and 1937, they did not attend.

*** w95 7/1 p. 15 par. 5 "The Israel of God" and the "Great Crowd" ***In 1935 they were identified with the "great crowd" of Revelation chapter 7. In 1938 they were invited to attend the Memorial of the death of Jesus Christ as observers
    *** w79 11/15 p. 27 par. 23 Benefiting from "One Mediator Between God and Men" ***Ever since the spring of 1938 they have been invited to attend the annual memorial celebration of Christ’s death, not to partake of the memorial emblems, the unleavened bread and the red wine, but as respectful observers.
    *** jv chap. 16 p. 243 Meetings for Worship, Instruction, and Encouragement ***For the first time, in its issue of February 15, 1938, TheWatchtower specifically invited them to be present at the Memorial, saying: "After six p.m. on April 15 let each company of the anointed assemble and celebrate the Memorial, their companions the Jonadabs also being present."
  • WingCommander
    WingCommander

This is an interesting topic, of which I am very curious myself.

No where in the bible does it say "do not let the Great Crowd partake." Instead, we see that Jesus told his followers to, "Keep doing this in rememberance of me", and also everyone whom wants everlasting life should partake. Uh, even if you have a question as to WHERE your reward is in the future (heaven, or Paradise Earth) in my opinion if you want to have everlasting life anywhere in the future you should be partaking of the emblems. Due to this logic, I have started taking communion when I attend churches. Do I believe that there will be a literal 144,000 who will reign as kings? Sure, why not?? But that doesn't mean ONLY THEY should be partaking.

For those of you on here that still consider yourself Christians, I would be really interested in seeing how many of you now partake of the emblems (communion) since you have left the JW's and started attending other churches?

I have a confession: I have never been baptized into any religion yet. I feel guilty for taking communion sometimes because of this. I am still trying to find a church/denomination that I am comfortable enough with to get baptized into Christ.

- Wing Commander

• CHILD
    CHILD

I take communion now. All Christians should take communion.

I do believe there's no need for the "other sheep" to be in attendance. It's like we denied Jesus Christ every time we attended the Memorial.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

I found the Memorial a bit creepy.

• Mrs. Fiorini
    Mrs. Fiorini

I regularly take communion at my church.

For the WT to tell the majority of their followers that they are not allowed to partake, when Christ himself commanded it, is quite shocking from a Christian perspective. This is one of the JW doctrines that I find most outrageous.

• IWillBeDubbedNoMore
    IWillBeDubbedNoMore

You are correct. The bible states all Christians should partake. As Blondie pointed out, in 1935 they closed heaven to the world, allowing the rest of us to watch. If they didn’t allow us to watch 99.9% of the halls would be empty on Memorial night..

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

I take communion now.

The JW denial of Christ-fest, aka the memorial, is incredibly creepy. Any Christian whom I've told of the memorials 'passing the emblems' phenomenon is visibly shocked. One woman openly shuddered at the thought. Yet JWs blithely pass on Christ's sacrifice, believing they're actually pleasing their god.

• Frank75
    Frank75
    All Christians should take communion.

This is clear to anyone who has actually read the bible. Whether one believes in Jesus, Christianity in general or not, it is basic to the gospel message:

(John 6:54) 54 He that feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has everlasting life...

I found the Memorial a bit creepy.

Me too. Especially after the Greatest man book. I just recall the whole driving up numbers process antithetical to what Jesus was all about. It barely touched on Jesus and seemed there more to dish out a crap load of guilt to the annual attenders who weren't regular.

No matter how many witnesses attend, it is plain to me now that it is more or less a "Black Mass" or an "Anti Communion" reminding me of the words:

(Matthew 23:13) 13 "Woe to YOU, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because YOU shut up the kingdom of the heavens before men; for YOU yourselves do not go in, neither do YOU permit those on their way in to go in.

Frank75

• seek2find
    seek2find

Something I wonder about is this passage from 1 Cor.11:26 "For as often as YOU eat this loaf and drink this cup, YOU keep proclaiming the death of the Lord, until he arrives." If the society believes he arrived in 1914 why are they still having a memorial? seek2find

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit