I truly believe the WT contributed to my depression

by heybaby 26 Replies latest jw experiences

• Confucious
    Confucious

You shall know the truth and the truth will set you free.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

........Jehovah`s Witness`s are the Happiest People on Earth!..Attempted SuicideAttempted Suicide.....Coffin And SmokingCoffin And Smoking...........BravoBravoBravo...........................Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

• mac n cheese
    mac n cheese

Boy did you hit the nail right on the head. My hubby has suffered from depression for most of his life. It wasn't until we started fading that he got better. The less involved we are with the congregation, the better he is. This is one of the biggest reasons I ended up posting here, because the difference was so obvious. And the few things I initially allowed myself to read on this board resonated with what we had always thought and discussed privately. We're both beginning to realize that we would have never joined this religion if we hadn't been born into it. Despite both of us pioneering for many years, and with hubby being an elder for many years, inside both of us were feeling very smothered. The congregation put up with the things we'd say that weren't quite kosher because we had all of the right boxes "checked". Now that we're not serving in any capacity, it's like we're invisible the few times we do show up at meetings. It's weird to be completely in the center of the organization and to feel totally lost and not part of things. Now, we're hardly part of the congregation, and we're so much more connected to each other, nature, and real friends we've met outside of the congregation. Being away from the congregation has also helped hubby address other issues, which has aided his return to mental health. Normally, I would have thanked God, but he never did anything to help when we were in and he certainly isn't helping us now. What's helping is this board (even though hubby doesn't know I'm here), the guide of a good doctor, and the affection we have between us. Thanks, heybaby, for a great post. And I guess I've officially come a bit "out" on this board - I've always tried to describe myself and spouse in gender neutral terms on this board. Now I feel comfortable enough to say that I'm the wife who wants out and am working on hubby bit by bit. Most of all, I just want him to be happy. Sorry for the long post.

• Number1Anarchist
    Number1Anarchist

Absolutley, along with the association of everything negative. The people, the constant reminder armegeddon is near and we may be destroyed i mean get real this is all negative and your mind can only take so much evil negative nonsense. Run far away from these people and get far away from there trained way of thinking. It's poison for the brain.

• mind my own
    mind my own

I also struggled with deep-rooted depression while I was a dub. I have not been a member for over 12 years now and I have not ever experienced anything close to the depression I experienced as a dub since I have left. Sure maybe a little bit from time to time, but I can always shake it. Depression is very prevalent within the org.

MMO

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

I totally agree that depression is perfectly normal among the JWs. It's like being in a mental and emotional prison. You are constantly being smothered and the life sucked out of you. You are constantly being made to feel worthless and there is never any reason to celebrate. No one ever builds you up. I'm surprised the suicide rate is not higher than it is.

• shamus100
    shamus100

Why do people get depressed? Because something is WRONG. (look, every case is not written in stone, so don't shoot me)

I suffered from depression for many many years while a dub. When I just couldn't take it anymore, and moved away, my mood did get better. The main problem was my addiction to Paxil - something not uncommon. It took me years to have the nerve to get off that shit. The problem with it is you cannot stop cold-turkey, or you get 'brain zaps'. AD's can have the opposite effect after a while - and that's what happened to me.

One day I said screw it, and went off AD's for good (cold turkey). I suffered for weeks, but made it. The thing about what made this different is I decided to get help with my problems through a psychyatrist at the same time. I hadn't seen him for a month, and did this against his orders.

Well low and behold - my depression had vanished. I do mean completely vanished. When I talked with my psychyatrist about this, he said that my story didn't suprise him, and he would just leave it at that. (his words)

I was in misery for eight years - EIGHT YEARS! Now, I haven't had any sign of depression for about three plus years.

I will never go on that shit again. I encourage anyone on that stuff to get real help through counselling to get to the root of your problem. I encourage people to get off that crap once and for all, and see if those meds are dragging you down.

How are my friends doing in the truth now?

All but one are on AD's - since I left. Now what does that tell you?

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

shamus:

Good point. I think ALL ex-JWs need counseling. But, yes, probably most people that are depressed need counseling more than pills.

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

It's not your imagination. There is a disproportionate amount of JW with depression. I just hope your husband doesn't pressure you too much to go with him. It sounds like you found the miracle cure. Take care.

• Frank75
    Frank75

Married for 14 years when we left, my wife had suffered severe depression the entire time. It is harder on women it would seem.

Exept for the odd how hum day here and there, she is totally cured. She attributes everything she felt to the JW's for most of the reasons cited above.

Take our comments for what it is worth....Depression and JW go hand in hand, you can't truly be happy living a lie.

Frank75

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit