How stupid do I think I am?

by AK - Jeff 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Today, as I wait for the grout on the kitchen floor to dry, I began to ponder.....

I wonder looking back just how insensitive to reality I could have been to have spent the vastness of my youth and midlife believing the obvious lies of Jehovah's Witnesses. Though I enjoy my freedom, I have no foundational background upon which to prop it. Though having a sense of being reborn, that rebirth has taken place late in life, and has left me feeling somewhat empty. Like a man who just emerged from amnesia and has no past from which to draw his moral/ethical/philosophical/spiritual value system, I sometimes wonder who I am, where I have been, and mostly where I am going.

Retrospectively, I seem to be drawing all my perspective from a clouded past. I was drawing no conclusions based on the facts of my experiences - until I left. I feel like a man of 53 making his early forays into the life of an 18 year old. My mind had been pickled in subversive propaganda for most of my life. Though I no longer look for a guide to tell me what I believe and how I should react in this life, I sense that the marathon started and was nearly finished before I began the race. Now the sun sets on the course, and I run it alone.

Anyway - the random thoughts of a random man in this random world.

Jeff

• crazycate
    crazycate

Not stupid at all. Perhaps disoriented. Having left the way of life I lived for my entire life, I find myself feeling that way--disoriented, I mean. Everything had been planned out--no surprises. Now, while having the freedom to think and do whatever I want, I still find the adjustment difficult at times.

Respectfully, Cate

• choosing life
    choosing life

I have often felt like I woke up from a bad dream after spending my productive years in the false world of the watchtower. Sure you can move on, but you always wonder what life would have been like if you had lived it on your terms and made your own decisions?

• caliber
    caliber

feel like a man of 53 making his early forays into the life of an 18 year old. My mind had been pickled in subversive propaganda for most of my life.

I do feel it is a greater problem to face the post WT. world having been there since diapers. I didn't really attend until about

15 years old so it does give you greater sense about life on the "outside " Your sense of self is already set when you

start to attend as teenager! ~Cal

• purplesofa
  • Open mind
    Open mind

So very well written Jeff.

I feel the same way quite frequently.

So while the vast majority of non-JW marathoners have "been-there-done-that", you're not completely alone.

I'm a fellow mental 18-year old, schlepping alonside you, figuring it out as I go along.

It's a little disappointing sometimes when you think about how much life was mis-spent, but treasuring each new day and being grateful for it usually keeps me out of a funk.

Take care Jeff,

om

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I think that it has been a true resurrection for me. Before I subjected myself to the groupthink and emotional blackmail of the Hebrew God club. Once again I struggle with the resurfaced 20 year old blank slate. It's been so gratifying to have the struggle back. As my year end comment towards the WT on this site I should like to say to the Governing Body, "May you all live long enough to have your hopes dashed like all those you've led into the toilet." Thank you JWD for your help in gaining my independence once again, W.Once

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Thank you Leslie for that video. Roy Clark has always been a favorite of mine, and his poignant treatment of that melody has always moved me.

Jeff

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

I feel that exact same way but could not articulate it as perfectly as you did. I felt like this more around the holidays, I can't believe we are the poor family that neighbors and coworkers include because we really have no traditions of our own. Everything done in the past has that JW haze around it. Every decision and action had a JW reason. So when that's not there anymore, one must really find oneself. Not easy as an adult.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I wonder looking back just how insensitive to reality I could have been to have spent the vastness of my youth and midlife believing the obvious lies of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Through my studies, I have learned that intelligence, stupidity, insensitivity, etc.
    are not always relevant. Sure, many college grads never became JW's because
    they learned to think for themself. That doesn't make those that don't learn to
    think for themselves stupid. Heck, even many college grads did become JW's.
    And in your case and in many others, you were told it was "the truth" when you
    were a child. You were convinced that the whole world is warped because it's
    in Satan's control, so you couldn't trust anything you were told in your education.

Think of primitive men. They didn't have time to learn how to properly deal with their
    emotions. They were survivalists. They learned FIGHT OR FLIGHT in the face of
    most obstacles in life. JW training taps into fears and gets us back into the
    FIGHT OR FLIGHT mode, then they tell us not to fight at all. They tell us to run
    away from problems, education, research, debate, intelligent discussion, etc. and
    let "Jehovah" fight it by destroying it any minute now.

The lies are very obvious, but only if you weren't tricked by them first. I still know
    many people who don't understand the least thing about JW's and some of them
    think there's nothing wrong with being one of them and question me about giving it
    up. When I explain the control factor, they think I am exaggerating.

Like a man who just emerged from amnesia and has no past from which to draw his moral/ethical/philosophical/spiritual value system, I sometimes wonder who I am, where I have been, and mostly where I am going.

I am leaning more and more toward eastern philosophy (not eastern religion) because
    it helps me to just let things flow- the way of water. It is very common for people of
    all ages to question what they were told in their younger years. Eastern philosophy
    helps me to understand that the questions should be asked, "Who am I, where am I
    going" but they help me understand that the journey is the important thing instead of
    the destination. I have many questions in my journey. There are many answers that
    don't all go together. If I don't get it all sorted out, it's okay. I am enjoying pondering
    all the possibilities. Instead of acheiving Nirvana and joining Buddha in enlightenment,
    I reach for enlightenment and don't worry so much if I never reach the Nirvana stage.

I don't reall believe there is Nirvana, but I could be pleasantly surprised when I die.
    Meanwhile, life is about life. Life is about your friends and family and meals and
    helping your fellow human out.

I feel like a man of 53 making his early forays into the life of an 18 year old.

.....I sense that the marathon started and was nearly finished before I began the race. Now the sun sets on the course, and I run it alone.

Enjoy the scenes on your run. Most 18 year olds don't stop to examine life's questions.
    Some do, but most wait until later in life. Talk to people in their 70's and 80's. More of
    them are still searching for meaning than any 18 year olds.

You are not alone.

Just the ramblings of another random man in a random world.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit