Meetings: Are They Morons?

by metatron 35 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

These ivory tower goons don't realize that a weekly meeting that ends at 8:45 or later ( in congregations I know ) is too late for many children because they have to study and do homework and, often, get up before dawn to catch the school bus.

Any weeknight meeting is a burden on kids and families, period. A longer one instead of two is worse. I rejoice in anything that makes young Witnesses hate the meetings even more as this will lower attendance and break the zombie-like spell they have on these poor drones.

metatron

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

our meeting starts at 7.30 pm and ends at 9.15 pm - so usually at least 9.45 - 10.00 pm before I am home

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    A longer one instead of two is worse.

The new meeting is not longer. I think some people pointed this out already.

• sir82
    sir82
    A longer one instead of two is worse.

Yeah, but it's not a longer one. It's an "exact same amount of time" one. Plus a complete elimination of another one.

But I agree with your point - for little kids, returning home after 9:30 - 10:00 on a school night is probably a bit much.

Oh, by the way, you may have forgotten - about 3 or 4 years ago, there was a KM article which implied that kids should skip homework or studying for tests if it interferes with meeting attendance. Blondie can probably find it and post it.

• heathen
    heathen

I think they are trying to focus more on starting personal studies and leaving another night for the pioneers and such to do it . We can suspect that in the very impoverished nations they do it the same since traveling would be extremely difficult . They really are planning on babylon the great to get it's death stroke anytime now which would create a flood of people wanting access to the WTBTS info , I've heard some say it's already happening with needing to create more room for others .

• metatron
    metatron

Given the newfound emphasis on ending on time, I think they fear that it will be longer, in fact.

The Service meeting only needs to be 10 minutes long including song and prayer. You just announce who's DF'd, who cleans the hall and tell them what the presentation is. Perhaps this will dawn on them......

metatron

• blondie
    blondie
    *** km 2/04 p. 1 par. 4 Regular Meeting Attendance—A Priority ***Schoolwork can also pose a challenge. "I do some of my schoolwork before the meetings and the rest after I come home," said one youth. If all assigned homework cannot be completed on meeting nights, some parents have explained to teachers that attendance at Christian meetings is a priority for their family.

This is what I could find on the fly.........

• booby
    booby

A bit off point, but does anyone remember an intermission between the school and service meeting. can't remember the total length of meetings back then, but it must have run a little longer to do that.

• blondie
    blondie

Actually it was between the public talk and the WT study, 15 minutes, ended just about when I got out of high school late 60's, early 70's?

• wobble
    wobble

Was that about the time they stopped having a prayer at the beginning of the WT? I remember we all sat down except for one sister,she dutifully stood with her eyes closed until her kid started laughing!

Love

Wobble

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit