WSJ - Front Page - Predict End of USA by 2010 - Garbage...

by Confucious 23 Replies latest jw friends

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I am not sure what the end of the USA is supposed to mean. Civil war? It is possible. Civil unrest of some sort at least seems probable. But I think international conflict is the more pressing concern at the moment. American media is already peddling the perverse line that China is to blame for their economic woes because, wait for it, they saved too much.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/26/world/asia/26addiction.html?_r=1&bl&ex=1230526800&en=6203116ae45cadc3&ei=5087%0A

That is fighting talk. Expect more vilification of China as the world economy falls off the cliff. History shows where bellicose rhetoric leads real conflict often follows.

It is not crackpot to expect things in the West may not in the future be as cosy as we have grown accustomed to over the past 60 years. There is no law of nature that says other countries can have failing economies, strife and unrest, but it can never happen here. It was not so long ago much of Europe was in ruins. I hope against hope we do not live to see that again.

• rmt1
    rmt1

Right now it's important for Americans to hear such nonsense because it is a perfect opportunity to be hit with the reality already mentioned, that our infrastructure, manufacture, resource and education capabilities are too badass to sink just yet. IOW, naive pronouncements by hopeful foreign statesmen serve as a very useful inoculation against precipitous behaviors like everyone cashing out of the banks.

If one proportionally transforms dates of benchmarks in ancient Rome and the U.S. (royal interval, republic interval, imperial interval), we still have a good forty years left of the U.S. being a nominally representative Republic. After that, rich and poor will have centrifuged and separated out sufficiently that a demagogue populist, probably with military background, will be very appealing to an American people who have seen their standard of living, and probably livelihoods, scuttled vis a vis emergent powers. The masses sometimes and cyclically hope that a single strong arm can clean up their house and paint the fence toothy.

• Confucious
    Confucious

RMT.

You are very smart sounding, LOL.

You sound like my college professors.

I agree...

I'm not saying that the USA will NEVER go.

I'm just saying not anytime soon.

And certainly not by next January.

Con

• 5go
    5go

The only states I see attempting to leave the US any time soon are the same damn states that did it last time, Shy a few Yankeeised states this time. You know states like Virginia, North Carolina, Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, and Texas. Texas though hasn't gone Yankee it won't join the other southern states because it has it's own national interest. Alaska might join in on leaving, but it will not join the rest for much the same reason as Texas.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit