Did I imagine this quote, or what?

by Mr Ben 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Mr Ben
    Mr Ben

I have been trying to find a WT quote but all has failed and so I turn to this discussion board for help. I am beginning to wonder if I imagined it in one of my wierd dreams. I cannot give it exactly, but it went something like this...

(following discussion of "worldly" bombs that kill good and bad alike)... if only a bomb could be constructed that only destroyed the unrighteous...

PS - Hello Sirona. I've met you before I believe. Can't remember where, though. Maybe in Manchester or Cambridge or at one of Bertram's cheese & wine parties. Let me know how you discovered the truth about the "truth".

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

Keep on dreaming Mr Ed. Keep on dreaming!

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

I recall it, but I can't be of any help as I don't know where to start to look. Have you tried W/T Library CD-ROM?

BTW welcome to the board. We're glad to 'see' another new face. Hope you enjoy your stay.

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"It's better to light a candle than to curse the darkness."

Anonymous

• gravyman
    gravyman
    Keep on dreaming Mr Ed.

Severe social retardation AND profound dyslexia into the bargain, Fred? You really ARE more to be pitied than laughed at...

"Not a soul asked the gravyman for gravy, and his smile was bitter..."

- Ivor Cutler, "The Hoorgi House"

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

Found these quotes, not sure if that is what you are thinking of.

2 Fearsome as that bomb blast was, it fades into insignificance when compared to "the great and fear-inspiring day of Jehovah" that lies just ahead. (Malachi 4:5) Oh, yes, there have been fear-inspiring days in the past, but this day of Jehovah will surpass all of them.-Mark 13:19. (w95, 4/15, p.15)

5 Holy spirit still operates in very lofty ways. It guides and directs Jehovah's heavenly organization. (Ezekiel 1:20, 21) Like the energy released by the hydrogen bomb, it can be used destructively to execute judgment on Jehovah's enemies, but it has also operated in other ways that excite us to wonder.-Isaiah 11:15; 30:27, 28; 40:7, 8; 2 Thessalonians 2:8. (w92, 2/1 p.9)

• blondie
    blondie

Mr. Ben is this it?

July 15, 1955 Watchtower page 436
    War from Heaven Brings Peace to Earth

10 When worldly men hear of this slaughter to come from Jehovah’s hand they set up a howl and protest that it is fiendish for God to do that. They think it is all right for them to dig the metals from the earth and forge them into tanks and guns, ships and planes, rockets and bombs, and to hurl these instruments of destruction at other men, bathing the planet with the blood of the innocent and the guilty alike, the good and the bad indiscriminately. They do not own the earth, or the peoples on it, or even themselves; yet they feel justified to pollute the land and slaughter the people. But Jehovah, to whom the earth and its fullness belong, the Owner of every living, breathing thing on or above or beneath its surface, must not take life, they say. Their wars sweep multitudes into the grave, without distinction as to guilt or innocence. Jehovah’s war will be selective, killing only the wicked, none of the lovers of righteousness that seek him. Yet they say their brutal and wanton wars are good, but Jehovah’s just one is bad. Their perversion of matters earns woe for them: “Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!” (Isa. 5:20) Men can spray a field with chemicals that kill weeds but spare crops; too bad they cannot spray cities with bombs that blow the bad to bits but leave the innocent intact."

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

I didn't go back far enough, I think blondie found it for you. Good work, Blondie.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

You didn't dream it. I think it was something more like: "Unlike the bombs of today's military powers, which kill the righteous along with the unrighteous, Jehovah will...." or something to that effect.

It is a pretty outrageous quote if you can find it. I've seen someone post it on this DB. I think it is 50's or 60's vintage.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

er... what Blondie said.

• Englishman
    Englishman

When I read stuff like this that came from 50's WT's, it helps me to understand why I was such a nervous child.

Englishman.

Bring on the dancing girls!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit