Idea for DA letter

by watson 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• foreverfree
    foreverfree

Why not just make copies of your DA letter and send it to EVERYONE in the Cong. instead of just the elders ? That way there would be no speculation about why.

• mustang
    mustang
    The reason to make it so simple is that I don't think the elders really read the DA letters. As soon as they get a wiff of apostasy, I think they shut down.

JT, former poster here and ex-Bethelite, maintained that the Elders/JC "would not give you a forum". You weren't to be allowed to preach to them or to expound on your "private thoughts". They would only listen long enough to let you "incriminate yourself". Once they have their "evidence" their ears shut down and the conversation becomes one-way.

The same would go for a DA letter: about the only things that would get their attention or divert them from the normal path are legal threats.

Granted, long letters airing all of our issues may be cathartic, but I'm not convinced they have much impact on the elders reading them.

Bingo: this has all been done before. The WTS knows all about it and has long ago done what they needed to do to train the elders to IGNORE objections. This is a subtle part of the training that Elders get, more of that "mental regulating". If they didn't do this, they would have defections from the exposure to alien thoughts.

I wonder if part of this training doesn't "harden the hearts" of the elders. This would make them unreceptive to the pleas of one under examination. I'm not sure that these "mentally regulated" robots would recognize repentance.

Oompa: they read them with "blinders" on; the "mental regulating" of their training puts them in a "zombie mode".

I'm with foreverfree: let the Elders be the last to know!!!

Mustang

• mustang
    mustang

Of course, you could always "DA" the Martin Luther way: nail 95 theses to the Church house door

Mustang

• watson
    watson

If I were to DA, I just wouldn't want the elders knowing anything. It's none of their business. Once the process begins, it's almost a legalistic system you have to go through anyway. They just need to know that you no longer want to be a JW. After all, when they announce it, all they say is: "So and So is no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses." So, just give them the words to announce. There is a little "sweetness" to sending the detailed letter out to others in the congregation, close friends and family, a few days prior to sending your announcement to the elders. Even then, I wouldn't tell the friends that you were "disassociating." Just that you can no longer attend because.......Let the bros announce it.

If the elders call to nose around or try to talk you into staying, then you can ask them: "Do you really want to know?" If they say yes, then invite them over and prepare a simple outline of 3 key areas that you disagree with the org on, and leave it at that. Don't tell them over the phone.

Personally, I'm thinking the best way to go is to get disfellowshipped. They hear rumors of your apostate leanings, they call committee meetings, you get to give your "apostate" complaints, and how you are going to spread the word, face to face so they can see your passion. At least when you get DF'd it's the bros that rip your families and friends away, and not you.

Rattling on here.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

"Take my name off your list of members" has a nice ring to it. :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit